old goat down

jen miller

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 10 year old goat, Bella. I know she's pretty old but she's still my pretty girl. About a month ago we noticed she wasn't getting around as easy, getting very skinny, and kept falling over. Brought a vet in and she had worms. I can't remember what they were called. Coccili something like that. Started with a C. Well she got a little better. Now she is back down. It started her falling over, to now she's not even walking, standing nothing. She is still eating and drinking and going to the bath room , all that. Brought the vet in again, gave her an IV and shots trying to get her energy back up. Tested her for worms again and that one kinda worm was back ( we are doubting it never went away ) well the wormer and meds and shots aren't seeming to help at this point. She can't get up. We try to lift her up to make her walk and she goes right back to the ground. She had been laying back where we woild need to roll her back on her belly so she didn't bloat ( my husband is the farm guy) now she's not doing that but instead when she tucks her head beside her (like they do to sleep) she can't move it back up. We have to go in and lift it for her. I just read someone's post about the same thing happening to her 3 year old goat and she had to be put down bc she lost all movement in her neck. Which is what is happening to my Bella girl. does anyone have any thoughts to help my girl

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did the vet listen to her heart?

Do you know what shots were given?

What did you use to treat the Cocci? Cocci are the "worms" you are talking about. They are different than works but are often put into the same category. Do you know how many were on the slide? Few, many?

What do her inner eyelids look like?

Hard to see our old friends like this :hugs

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She sounds like she is not in good enough shape to recover. I know its a hard thought but it may be time to put her down.

jen miller

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The vet did say she had a heart mummur. She may of had this. We don't know. My husband said the vet didn't tell us how bad she had them. Little or alot. Her eye lids were white, that was before her treatment The vet gave us Corid to give her. And some shots (he's not sure what they were). They gave her an IV and vitamin shots when they were here to try and get her energy back up. But it didn't help. She's eating great and drinking. Still loves her grain and hay. We started giving her molasses too. Which she gobbles that right down. Just she can't walk or stand. And now this thing w her neck. I was still feeling hopeful until I read that women's post about it happening to her 3 year old. Now am I not only concerned w bella, but we have another one too. Emma. She's much younger ( 5 ) and I'm worried she's going to have the same thing happen to her.
Did the vet listen to her heart?

Do you know what shots were given?

What did you use to treat the Cocci? Cocci are the "worms" you are talking about. They are different than works but are often put into the same category. Do you know how many were on the slide? Few, many?

What do her inner eyelids look like?

Hard to see our old friends like this :hugs

:hugs

jen miller

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
At this point I don't think she's going too. we are gonna call the vet on Tuesday. Bring her back in. I'm losing more hope as the days go by. Do these types of worms kill? Why wasn't the shots and wormer given allow her to bounce back ? I'm stressed about the day that I know what's going to have to be done , but I'm concerned about my other one too. Which we have them separated now so Bella is able to relax and not have to worry about the other eating her hay or knocking her over etc.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Typing a post now. In short YES cocci is a HUGE killer. Typically it's seen in kids, but if it's bad enough adults will get it too.

Will work on another post in a minute.

Post the link of the other goat you are talking about

jen miller

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm sorry goat whisper. I'm new to this. I came on looking for answers and I'm sorry I found them even tho in my mind I knew, I was just trying to be hopeful. What link would you like me to post? I didn't have any thing else posted besides for this one about my Bella girl. We just have a 5 year old one as well and I don't want her to get this. How do I do this? The vet said even cleaning everything outta their pen, waste, dirt ,cobwebs whatever the case may be they can still live in there. I want them to go away!! She did mention that normally only younger ones get them, rare cases older ones will ( which is my case) maybe she had them too long and she's not young or strong enough to fight them off.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
If her eyelids were white, she was almost dead. I'm shocked that she is still alive with her being this old and having a load that high. It will take a few treatments to fully get rid of the cocci, especially if you are using corid.

The issue with the neck is very concerning. Can you tell if it is because she is weak, injured it, or neurological? I would be starting her on thiamine injections to ward off any possible polio. Corid can cause a thiamine deficiency, and that can cause polio.

What is her temp?

There is still a chance that you can save her. May not be a big chance, but don't give up just yet.

Finding something else to treat the cocci like di-methox would be better than the corid.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry goat whisper. I'm new to this. I came on looking for answers and I'm sorry I found them even tho in my mind I knew, I was just trying to be hopeful. What link would you like me to post? I didn't have any thing else posted besides for this one about my Bella girl. We just have a 5 year old one as well and I don't want her to get this. How do I do this? The vet said even cleaning everything outta their pen, waste, dirt ,cobwebs whatever the case may be they can still live in there. I want them to go away!! She did mention that normally only younger ones get them, rare cases older ones will ( which is my case) maybe she had them too long and she's not young or strong enough to fight them off.
Cocci is in the environment just like most worms/ parasites. Keeping them at a reasonable number is key. Running fecals on a regular schedule to monitor parasite counts is very important. You can learn to do this yourself if you get the right scope and slides.

Keeping pens clean, poop scooped, and feeding them off the ground will help cut down on parasites.

Post the link to the thread that you mention, the one that the owner had to put the doe down due to the neck issue.

jen miller

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had no idea about the eye lids!! I just ran out to my husband and told him that white eye lids weren't good and he said he knew. But that was before her treatment. He just gave her the last dose tonight and in 3 weeks she gets another shot. I'm sure he doesn't tell me stuff like that bc of my reaction to it. Which he is correct. They aren't "farm animals " they are my pets. He told me to save what you wrote so he can remember the med. I'm guessing to tell the vet. The neck thing we think is bc she is weak. No injury. She started not being able to loft it from her side about 2 days ago. We just go in and very slowly help her lift it up. Sometimes she may let out a noise. I dunno if it's bc she's stiff and sore from it being in that position that long. We check on her about every hour or so during the day and every few through out the night. Once her head is up she's fine. She can move it around , look around , bend it to drink. We put a little pile of hay in front of her and she will root through the hay, find what she wants and eat away. But I will definitely have him tell the vet about that med. I most likely won't be up there. I'm scared to hear what she may have to say.