people raising pigs don't talk much

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the other forum pages consistently have new posts. i eagerly look for new pig posts to read ( i hope to have pigs one day). days, many days go by & no one says anything. so much to learn & nobody's talking.

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want to learn more about the pros & cons of breeds. I want to learn more about pigs being pastured w/other livestock - is it ever safe? I want to learn what they need for winter & how their birthing goes. the questions go on and on. I also want to see pictures - they're so wonderful looking.
the not so sweet aspect I want to know about is harvesting your own pigs vs a processor. gosh, it'd hard to think of all the questions - there's so much to learn and so much to know.

I wish people would just talk about how it all works - the good and the bad and why you did what you did. did it turn out right or do you thing you would do it different.

jdubya

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
they can be pastured with other livestock, but you'll need to have a hot wire with your fence, and a good livestock guard dog (raised with pigs, goats, sheep, etc.) pigs are actually very clean animals when raised on pasture. they will only use one area as a "bathroom". they get a bad rap for being filthy because they are often raised in such a small area. when given a choice, they wont poop where they eat and sleep.

pigs do carry diseases that can infect other livestock, like brucellosis, psuedorabies and anthrax. make sure all animals are healthy before you co-mingle species. also, make sure wild hogs aren't prevalent in your area, or you wont be able to keep disease out of your herd if they're on pasture.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok the bad stuff first.

Pigs can be very dangerous. I got rid of a biting duroc not to long ago for that reason. They are powerful and fast moving. They will eat you if they feel like it. They can be hard on fencing, hot wire is a must. They eat a fair amount and poop about the same amount. I would not trust any pig larger than a mini potbelly in with other livestock.

The good stuff.

They are tasty. :lol: most pigs aren't going to be hell on the hoof. They eat anything. Great for plowing up a garden.

As for processing I use a processor. It is just easier for me. I can't imagine handling and cutting up something that size.

Things I wish I knew when I first got my pigs.

Don't bother with show stock or care about purebred. Get them young and raise them right. Don't bother with potbellies/kunekune/wild unless you will be processing your own meat.

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know about Berkshire hogs if anyone's interested??? lol

I'd be happy to tell my pig stories to anyone who wants to hear!
(cannot post pictures yet because I don't have 10 posts yet!)