Pooch Test? Pregnant? Pretty sure but dang goats are confusing!

MeganA19

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay. So having recently learned of this so called "pooch test" I examined my girls and am really thinking they are bred. Along with a few other clues. Needing some more expertise thoughts and advice though please .

First I think you need the backstory, just bought my does last week, but I know them and have been working with goats a while now, have even kidded a few times as the goat farm's owners are friends of mine. My younger doe is a full Nubian, named Ellie. My slightly older and slightly larger doe is a saanen/nubian cross, named Suzanne. Neither one of them were "supposed" to be bred, meaning it wasn't planned. The buck jumped the fence and yeah. Here we are. Fine with me though as I wanted a few bred does and I love these girls to bits. So anyway, Ellie is due Feb. 5th and Suzanne is due Jan.30th. Ellie has more udder growth than Suzanne, I've heard that's normal, they are both first fresheners so I'm expecting both of their udders to be developing now but I know all goats are different. Ellie is also a bit small in the bump area, her belly is def lower to the ground, but not really on the sides, Suzanne has a nice bump on her right side and is also a bit low.Thoughts on that would be nice to hear too. I took pictures today and will post them below, please please let me know what you think, pregnant, not pregnant, single, twin so on and so forth, all thoughts appreciated and thanks!! First 4 pics are Ellie and the last 2 are Suzanne.
Attached Images
84001d1419543557-pooch-test-verification-newb-please-pooch-test-003.jpg
84002d1419543557-pooch-test-verification-newb-please-pooch-test-004.jpg
84003d1419543557-pooch-test-verification-newb-please-pooch-test-005.jpg
84004d1419543557-pooch-test-verification-newb-please-pooch-test-006.jpg
84005d1419543557-pooch-test-verification-newb-please-pooch-test-007.jpg
84006d1419543557-pooch-test-verification-newb-please-pooch-test-008.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no merit to the pooch test, and unfortunately your pics are not coming up.
The udder is your best determining factor outside of pregnancy test and or ultrasound.
You are right on... FF don't always show much til just before, goats are all so different! :)

MeganA19

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ah darn about the pics... I'll try to reload them on my real computer in a bit. SoI'll just keep watching for udder growth and keep my fingers crossed!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just noticed you are brand new to BYH! :woot

Welcome welcome welcome!

After posting for awhile you may put pics up... that is probably why they didn't post . Can't wait to see your girls though!
Oh and kidding threads are a must!:) We are picture addicts!;)

MeganA19

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you! :) Guess I need to post a whole bunch then! Oh yes kid pictures promised as long as I can tear myself away from them long enough to post. ;)