rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm going to just let him "Man" (and I'll just stay grumpy for a few more weeks just because). His boss says the three days a week they are required to come in he doesn't have to stay more than a few hours since they will be the only two on their team at the office (rest of team is in Malvern, pa, MO or over seas). Company will pay for his park and ride lot fee and train ticket for the needless trips. If he can be home when the kids are maybe things will be better than I think. The dollar signs make me choke because that's not how you retire when you're 40 or whatever his original plan was but clearly we have changed course here. Not sure we'll be out of debt by the time he's 40 and that's not hard math.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The day Elsa and Galaxy left I was distracted and accidentally ran milk into my milker's ballast tank. One of the reasons I was building a milker for myself was that tank and how hard it is to clean if that happens. Well, it's clean now. And still wet after several days. It will probably be dry in a day or two from now. Then I ordered a 6 cfm oil less pump to finish my milker so it won't spew oil mist into the air. That was preventing me from finishing that project. The 3 gallon ballast tank on my home made machine can be opened and cleaned. When set up it should work better than my capralite milker and has a more powerful pump so the capralite can be a backup or a way to milk a third goat.

Then I ordered a 5 gallon pail too. I'm currently milking with a pair of 10 liter milk totes. I have to switch them out in time or they over flow into the balast tank. That's why the incident happened. My 7ish gallon pail is too heavy even empty to justify carrying in and out when I only have 6 milkers-5 should be better. I'll use the big one again when I'm back up in milker numbers.

Moving date is going to be the second week in June if nothing changes with closing at the end of May. It looks like I need brucellosis testing and TB testing and a big old CVI, and then to do the actual driving probably twice. This should be interesting. (one of those times I sit here wishing I was on the other end of the screen just reading this instead of living it)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I might need to look into a bottle calf or two next year to to feed out and use up extra milk and then take to slaughter probably as large veal when resources run low (is that a thing?). And a replacement cheese fridge since my old dying one died the rest of the way this year. No more piggies for me.

Darn, just remembered I have to tattoo little goat kids' tails for CVI's. That's also going to be "fun". Too bad microchips alone don't fly! They're all 840 chipped.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Uhhh....did he at least send you pictures 🤣😋 men!
Oh yeah. We found a house, did a call tour over zoom, decided to send him out for four days for an in person tour and commute test so he went out to see it and any close ranking houses, and he came back and we put in an offer and apparently in MD you put your offer in and work out the sale contract in the same breath so now that's done.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just don't understand why he isn't taking this off ramp
I had similar with DH when he was going to retire - he kept putting it off. Finding all sorts of reasons to put it off. He finally took the plunge Thank God. If it wasn't for the crazy world and the company going more and more woke I think he'd still be there.