rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would not pay me to drive all the way to TN to then drive you back to MD... although the trip home from there for me would be closer... been thinking on how to make it practical but it just isn't... I could drive the truck/trailer... use my father's 3/4 ton p.u. that I brought home from NH and just had serviced while waiting on DS to get the title switched over...
Sorry, just thinking of possibilities...
No worries, Jan. You have enough on your plate! We'll get this done.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no doubt you will get it done... just thought it could be a good situation all around... but can't figure out how to get a "mini" vacation out if it !!!!! In a practical sensible way... too bad I wasn't needing to take something down that way....
Hey, the good thing is, MD will be closer so I could swing a visit up to see the "farm" .... and still not be gone so terribly long from here... so, that is in the future possibilities... figure I need to do a little of the traveling/visiting I want to do before I am too old and decrepit to do it.... !!!!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you could totally come and visit. DH says the Shenandoah valley isn't that far from where we're going.
Jan, you're a cow woman. You run a business in addition to being a milk tester and a calf bottle holder. My thinking is that if you leave town for a day and a half your whole operation grinds to a halt.
Even thinking of helping us makes me feel happy. That's very kind.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bailey(8-9ish?) made me worry again she may be losing her marbles last night and again this morning. I think it may be time to banish her to the buck pen to keep her away from my kids. Emotionally I'm not sure I'm ready for that lump to be dust on the wind. I mean, I could do it if I had to choose between my kids and my "herd's" well being and her, but I'd rather not.
Last night I dumped the milk from milking out on the lawn outside the shop. First I dumped my staph udder goat's bucket (haven't mentioned that, but we have a brood doe from a top tier herd that the boys love and loves the boys that came with a wrecked udder and always has staph infections...probably coming from inside the udder despite low SCC's, so she's milked last, by hand with gloves, given a daily cholorhex or iodine teat tip bath). So I dumped the bucket and Bailey started growling from behind the fence in my direction-at ME. Then I got the normal milker bucket and dumped it and Bailey flat out FLIPPED OUT and went nuts on the gate wire, barking, snarling, and growling. I ignored her (she doesn't hear me if food is involved) and got the milker and went in.

And this morning while I was choring one of the boys brought a lollipop over to near the fence to go say hi and she went bananas and tried to jump the fence with her old body and GET THAT SUCKER with all she had. The kids got scared, freaked out. The 130 lbs dog had suddenly lunged at their face because that's what the lolly pop was in front of and tried to eat them. The rule we always have is no food in the goats pen, and they followed it. I guess the rule now has to be no food within sight of the fence?

My 8-9ish year old dog disappears when food comes out. She's tries to rip through my clothing before for anything edible if I've put anything in my pockets recently before going out (I flip out and put her in her place rather harshly while feeling like a rat but forcing compliance and if necessary escalating just enough to control things and keep her in check). She's a little stiff in the back end, but other than that seems fine mobility-wise. She dutifully guards all night long and trains and hones Riker on what to bark at (not cats, that gets him bit, and all guests must be greeted and pets and sniffs must be exchanged because she's queen b7tch) but food is her only joy in life. What do I do with this dog? She can never be a barnyard dog if she does lose mobility. She's chew through my house walls for the fridge if she could and eat my Nutella covered rug rats.

All I can think of to do is put her in the buck pen away from the gate where kids go and tie her up and feed her when I grain them. And that's not going to work during work when Pete goes anorexic and tries to live on nothing but a small quantity of alfalfa pellets and grain (alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay offered free choice)

Alfalfa pellets, boss, beat pulp pellets, all considered food now. Goat turds from lush clover=food. Afterbirth=FOOOD. Leaking milk=FOOD. Blood=food. Sometimes hay is food and she guards it and tries to eat it and poops alarming amounts of hay.

I think my dog's mind is failing. At what point is she more harm than good and what are my options?

My goats are starting to tell me somethings not right with her too. After years of accepting her they're starting to headbutt her HARD when she gets in FOOD mode, especially when there's no food (she doesn't notice even if she gets knocked around=fixated). They're not hanging out near her anymore. I'm confused what changed but I guess time is what changed?

She's not too thin, not too far (okay, maybe a little fat). She gets a canine MSM supplement for aging joints that seems to be doing its job. Is there going to be a point where she's still physically able but I'm going to have to put her down for...is canine dementia a thing? How could I know it's time without letting someone get hurt? (confused where my partner went and why I'm even having this discussion)

(I'm actually more afraid of Bailey getting out and eating herself to death on something or eating too much and bloating than the goats breaking out and wanting to do that because she WOULD and she more than wants to and they just want clover and graze and home shed right now)

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like Bailey is no longer safe around the children if they have food. Or you if you have food. Or any person that comes within her orbit that she perceives has food. This is a very bad thing for you and your family. Aside from hurting you or the kids, you could be looking at a huge lawsuit if she bites someone else. The fact that she went ballistic, snarling at you when you were dumping the milk is a really bad sign that something is not right with her anymore. The goats sense it too, as evidenced by their new behavior towards her.

I think you are going to have to make a hard decision pretty soon.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Ridgetop . My heart is breaking for you. She has been an awesome dog, best friend and guardian of not just the flock, but the family too.

She’s not “right” and it sounds like Bailey is slipping away into a not good place. Her brain has flipped, it’s not Bailey anymore.

I’m so sorry .

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Darn, I knew that was what you were going to say but I was still hoping you'd say it was behavioral, my fault, and somehow I could fix it. Yeah, my dog is dying from the inside out. Time to chat with the spouse on timing. He also doesn't want to let her go.