Registered names

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How does everyone go about picking a name for registration? I have a friend that named one of her girls "Perfect Match", and I've heard of names like, "Outta Control", "Look who's talkin", etc, but what do you call them daily? That's a mouthful to say every time you talk to/about your goats... I've always named mine "regular", boring names... Daisy, Spots.. lol but I wanna start naming them cool names lol... I just don't know how it would work for daily names.

So I guess my question is, do you have a registered name and then a completely different "farm name" for the goat? Or... do you call them "Perfect Match"...?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a horse named Joe's Tuff Bars. We just call him Joe. Registered names get to the point of trying to come up with a name that hasn't been used already. Use your farm name as a prefix, then the goat name of your choice.

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Right, I already use my farm name at the beginning, but I would like to start naming them something cool lol... I just dont know what to call them if the "cool" name doesnt have a 'real' name in the midst of it (like Joe for yours @Baymule)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Post a picture and see what names we can come up with! What kind of "cool" names do you like? Star wars theme? Trees? Super heros?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have a fancy name for the registration and normal name for every day. One of my registered goats is listed as Omega Ranch Git's Katharine. Every day she is called KitKat. One name does not have to have anything to do with the other name.

When KitKat has a doeling I intend to register her as Omega Ranch Git's Legacy and call the doeling Lacy.

Helpful?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of our doe's registered name is In The Reds Madamoiselle
Her former owners called her something silly... still had nothing to do with her registered name... when we got her she was 5 and we renamed her "Ruby". All her doelings are named after a precious jewel/stone.

When we name them with registration we try to put a name in there we can still use as part of it.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
We picked the name Rebel Yeller for our new buck (the breeder was awesome and let us choose since we reserved him so young) We will call him Reb, Rebel or if those don't fit his personality, we will call him something totally different, Just Depends. I had a dog registered Sam's Lassie Lady. Her name was Lady Bug. I know a lot of people name their goats beginning with the letter of that year.

Reactions: TAH

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One name does not have to have anything to do with the other name.

When KitKat has a doeling I intend to register her as Omega Ranch Git's Legacy and call the doeling Lacy.

Helpful?

I had a dog registered Sam's Lassie Lady. Her name was Lady Bug.

One of our goats is named Celeste on her paperwork- the pervious owner called her Obie because of her coloring- we continue to call her Obie.

These are all very helpful, thanks! It's good to know that their registered names can have nothing to do with their "farm" names! I will post pics soon. I have been terrible with names this year! I'm also terrible with themes... Maybe you guys can help! Pics are not on the computer, will update with pics from the phone soon.

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2016-02-14 12.00.18.jpg
this one has been nick named spots for the time being... creative, I know... her mom's name is Petunia, and her grandma's name was Daisy...

2016-02-14 12.00.47.jpg
this one is a special one to us... we lost her mom just a week after kidding. Her mom was our favorite, and our herd queen. She was a hard one to lose. We have nick named her rain because her mom's name was cloud.

20160211_195222.jpg

This one we have nick named blossom, her mom's name is peaches. She seems to have longer legs than the others. But a smaller head...

I have no idea as to a theme for the year, nor do I have any cool registered name ideas... any suggestions anyone has, you are welcome to share. We are drawing blanks on names this year, I don't know why!