Rescue Dog - What to do?

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are definitely open to helping out a dog that needs a break...my Male Pyr that Southern mentioned had been rehomed 3 times before me and was chained most of the time because he was a roamer/runner. We worked with him and spent a LOT of money on really good fencing and he has been a fantastic dog that is reliable, trustworthy guardian and content to stay home but we lives in the pasture full-time. What I can't do at this time in our life is deal with a dog that has mental instability and fear issues. I have 3 little kids, one on the way, milking cow and goat + a many other critters, 7 rental houses and a business to run....I just don't have the time and situation to deal with an unstable dog right now. I am willing to spend time to lead and direct a dog to help them integrate into our family and situation but not bend my life around a dog and its issues.

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/i_am_sadie_and_i_need_a_new_home/1711587/

I had spoken with the owner of this dog and they are rehoming her to due to family illness and lots of travelling required to caring for ailing parents. I am thinking of giving them a call back and see if she's still available....she sounded perfect but I was picking Striker up the day I talked to them but I was always thinking of her and wondering if she might be a better candidate. Again, maybe should have listened to that little voice. I love her look but am a little worried that she doesn't have much of a coat to be an outside dog. I would of course give her a warm doghouse on our covered deck or a spot in the soon to be built barn but don't want the dog to be uncomfortable...anyone have experience with short coated dogs staying outside in the winter? We ususally don't get temps below -10C or not for very long. She seems like a good fit for us...she is a dominant personality so she needs a firm leader which I think I can be, afterall I do have 2 Pyrs. ;) Whatcha think?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
her background is not one of instability... the purpose for the re-homing says a great deal.
She is worth taking a good look at and finding out how she does with little kids and other dogs.
I also like her breed background but you are right, she will need a strong owner with confidence.
Sounds like a much better fit!
In other words she isn't a "rescue" me situation.

:thumbsup

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bossroo said:
Squirrelgirl88 said:
:hugs to you first.

BUT, please don't discount rescues, and rule all of them out. I just returned from the vet this very hour having my rescued lab put down. She was 13 years old and the best dog I've ever had. She came to us from a shelter that had adopted her out twice and she had been returned due to male issues and separation anxiety. The first week I had her she DESTROYED my house. My DH wanted to take her back and I told him no, someone had to love her.

DH learned to move slowly and talk to her before approaching, she learned he wasn't going to hurt her. She became our "guard dog". no one came in the house without her permission. She remained a little neurotic about being separated from me. I had to stop traveling for work, and no out of town trips. If I wasn't home every night she refused to eat and about had a nervous breakdown.

But rescuing her was the best thing we ever did. I love taking on the fight for the underdog. Your home may not have been the best place for this particular dog, but somewhere, someone could take them on and give them a good life.

I always believe a rescued animal is the best companion there is. They know what a gift you have given them.

Don't give up.
Just another example of a very expensive rescue situation ... $$$ to fix destroyed house, neurotic, severe limitation of adopter's movements, and going psyco. Why do these rescues allow a dog with serous issues be " adopted " out and NOT keep them and deal with the conseqenses themselves ? A type of mentality where they know what is best for "you" ( the collective you ), then let "you" pay for it. The new owner is often placed at great risk .
Wow. You totally missed my point. My dog changed my life because I allowed her to. And I wouldn't trade one second of any of it. We were never at risk, my children and family loved her as much as I did. I'm sorry if you've never had a rescued dog touch your heart like she touched mine. As for me, I will adopt again. That's where I will leave my comments as I am grieving from my loss - THIS MORNING - and you have wounded me Bossroo. If I don't leave this post I will say something I will regret.

Woodsie - sorry I derailed your thread. Best of luck to you in your ventures, and bless you and your animals.