Samssimonsays: Blazing Acres journal

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry about Sadie, hope they can figure our some meds that will control it.

Your DH was very sweet to make you a cheese press.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Great looking cheese press. Sorry to hear about Sadie. Have you spoken to the neighbor to try and find out what he put out that they got into? I'd be madder/angrier than a wet hen at this point I gotta say. :rant:somad

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Well how embarrassing! I didn't get any notifications of your posts....

Thank you all for your kind words on sadie. He is an odd neighbor and since he was baiting bears it could have been anything from rotting meats, diabetic candy and even grease. According to the vet they feel there was something that had a neuro toxin in it that affects dogs. It is heartbreaking and angering that our very young dogs are now dealing with these issues due to all of this but it was on his property and he's the kind of guy that if we accuse him of something could make our lives difficult. Or worse.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
How awful... I'm so sorry. So, I think your dogs are beyond this but interesting thing I heard the other day. This breeder we know had one of his dogs (huge male Rottweiler) get into something. He's not sure what. Dog was sick for a few days. Nothing helped until someone recommended plain raw yogurt. He was up and about in a few hours. A month or so later our friend's Spanish Alano got into something. Went to the vet, filled him full of meds... Nothing helped. He tried plain raw yogurt, dog was up and about in an hour. Weird huh?

I know how you feel with neighbors like that. We have our fair share around here too :mad:

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
It's sad but so is life. He wouldn't deliberately harm them. Note would any of the others but something as simple as candy put out could cause it. They never got "sick" thankfully. Even with the pancreatitis rum never showed any symptoms of that. Blood labs showed fine on all other counts as well. Sigh.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have neighbors like that...I hope. A few months ago the Sheriff showed up at my door instead of the neighbor's door and he was here to bust them for growing marijuana. My first thought was "gosh, I hope they don't think that I turned them in; I don't need trouble with my neighbors." So far so good so I guess they know that it wasn't me.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's why our place is securely fenced. We keep ours in and everybody else's out. Before we got the fence finished, we went outside with the house dogs every time they went out. It's so nice to just open the door and let them out now.