Scabby lumps on one side - soremouth

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
We lost both Pearl and Edward and are trying to save the mother but i will likely need to cull her. As best as i can figure, her kids died from dehydration or secondary infection. I was letting them drink from her when we unsealed her teats and they were stealing milk from the other does but i dont know if it just wasnt enough or if the orf resulted in a secondary infection. I cannot bring myself to open them up yet, but the weather has turned and they are frozen outside.

Her teets are closed with scabs that must be peeled off daily to milk her out. i figure, even after this has run its course, the constant peeling of her teets will result in her orifices closing.

I am a mess over the helplessness of this sickness and the damage it has done.

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hugs I wish I could offer some advice, but this is something I have no experience with. So sorry for your losses.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
They all have it, southern. Every kid, every mom, even gladys. The only one without it is the red slaughter doe so i am wondering if she wasnt my carrier. The kids on dams had it on their joints at their legs but never their face; the bottle babies had it on their mouths, except virgil, who had it on his sides and scrotum, the girls had/have it on their genitals as well. Gladys has it on her genitals but it hasnt (yet) ended up on her bag even though her bag is tender since she flared up; gretel has it all over her bag but its on the side of her teets, she is still feeding cassenova; flora has it on her bag, it was on her teats but she has shed those scabs, so its just on the back of her bag, she only refused to feed fern a couple times because she had gotten too full, but as soon as she was milked down, she would allow fern to latch. Tootsie had/has it the worst and her bag is covered in huge scabs ranging from the size of a dime to nearly a dollar coin, and the scabs cover the entire tips of both teats about 3/4 of an inch up. All that must be peeled off or she cannot give milk, and it just RIPS flesh. Monday, then the feed store is open, we are going to pick up some metal drains. We will peel the teat again and try and get those drains in thrpigh all the kicking, screaming and flailing. My hope is, itll keep her drained, allow her to heal and keep the orifice open. If not, she will need to be sold for meat once the disease has run its course. And i have nothing to show for her. I wasnt as worried about them as i guess i should have been as they eat well on their own (which never stopped) and have constant water access. Im horrofied, i had made the decision that once she was good and healed (ie not contagious anymore) id get her on a dairy ration, get her production back up and sell her as a milker as she is brilliant on the stand. THAT is now extremely improbable.