Sick pig! What can I do?

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No different than a human Leslie... you are hot, sore, tired, dehydrated.. it sounds funny but a sick pig is pathetic and with all my animals when they are sick and not responding like the `pro`s`say they should I think about what would work for me if I were sick... and as a person who was completely out of commission with a spinal injury for months I can empathise and the mommy of a very sick 750 boar at Good Friday... I understand... big time!

lnm03

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do pigs have seizures? I went out this morning and her mouth was wide open and she was uncontrollably shaking trembling followed by have breathing when she was done

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes pigs can have seizures... it can be from dehydration but at this stage I think you need to call your vet.

Poor piggy, your doing a good job.

lnm03

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Shes got an appointment with the vet at 4 today!

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Get as much fluids into her as you can, whatever way you can... if she will eat the fruit or soaked bread/cake whatever as I mentioned great, if not I would drench her with some enectrolite water, pedialite or even gatoraide .. when something is dehydrated badly so can its brain dehydrate which can cause seizures (as can other things of course), if your vet weren't coming this afternoon I would have told you to start her on some LA200 (penicillian),,, I hope she does OK while you wait.

lnm03

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the vet canceled on me around 2 o'clock due to an emergency he told me to give her a shot of penicillin and force water down her every hour however I possibly could. I just went out and checked on her again and she is moving around a little bit more we are hoping and praying for the best

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OK so do you have a bigger syringe... you can get water into her that way. If she won't open up you can usually tease them into opening up and shoot it to the back and side of her mouth. If you have powered Pen them mix it in after the first syringe of two becasue it is bitter. She is little enough to be able to give her a shot as well so try what you can. She is obviously a fighter and your vet needs a smack but at least they called you.

Remember, juicy fruits...

lnm03

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is doing great!! She seems to be getting stronger and stronger!!! Thank you for all of your help!!!!!!!!