Some Rabbit Questions

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
The gene that causes the angora coat is recessive, meaning that a rabbit has to inherit it from both parents to have long hair. If you cross a longhair to a rabbit with a normal coat, you will get normal-coated babies. Though the coat from such a cross might be normal in length, that doesn't mean the texture will be normal; it may be denser and softer because of genes inherited from the angora. When you cross rabbits of different coat types, you can wind up with the worst of both worlds; some traits that make one type of coat good can be an absolute wreck on another type of coat.

The tricky part of pelt production is that shedding thing. A rabbit usually molts from nose to tail; there is usually a discernible line called a 'prime line' with fresh new coat behind it that moves down the rabbit's body as the molt progresses. A rabbit that has just completed a molt is said to be in prime coat; that's the goal in pelt production. The problem with pelts and fryers is timing - young rabbits usually start getting their first change of coat at about the same time as they reach slaughter weight. The pelt of a rabbit that was shedding when it was slaughtered is a mess; waiting until the rabbit has completed the molt means older, tougher meat - which is the reason that most people aim for meat production or pelt production, but not both.

The body type of basically all of the rabbit breeds you have mentioned is the same - what the ARBA calls commercial type. That means they are supposed to have well-filled, muscular bodies. Some may take a little bit longer to reach slaughter weight because their adult size is a bit smaller, but when you get down to it, you can eat any rabbit - they all taste the same. Shoot, I used to know a guy who bred dynamite Netherland Dwarfs, and ate his culls, though he said the only parts worth bothering with were the loin and back legs.

June2012

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The gene that causes the angora coat is recessive, meaning that a rabbit has to inherit it from both parents to have long hair. If you cross a longhair to a rabbit with a normal coat, you will get normal-coated babies. Though the coat from such a cross might be normal in length, that doesn't mean the texture will be normal; it may be denser and softer because of genes inherited from the angora. When you cross rabbits of different coat types, you can wind up with the worst of both worlds; some traits that make one type of coat good can be an absolute wreck on another type of coat.

OH! I actually thought it wasn't recessive because of Satin Angoras was a cross between a French Angora and a Satin rabbit, then bred from there as a breed... That's good to know! And I can see that happening. I really don't think it'd be the best of plans, lol. I'm thinking that the Angoras could be pets, possibly. :)

The tricky part of pelt production is that shedding thing. A rabbit usually molts from nose to tail; there is usually a discernible line called a 'prime line' with fresh new coat behind it that moves down the rabbit's body as the molt progresses. A rabbit that has just completed a molt is said to be in prime coat; that's the goal in pelt production. The problem with pelts and fryers is timing - young rabbits usually start getting their first change of coat at about the same time as they reach slaughter weight. The pelt of a rabbit that was shedding when it was slaughtered is a mess; waiting until the rabbit has completed the molt means older, tougher meat - which is the reason that most people aim for meat production or pelt production, but not both.

Hmmm... I see. So it's really either one or the other, I guess. I can't imagine myself raising three different breeds of rabbit, so I would need to narrow it down to what I want in rabbits, right? That'd be meat and angora because I love to knit...don't know what I'd do with pelts, but thought it'd be a cool side product.
Would it hurt to have a pelt breed, have some for meat and some for pelts or how I felt about it? At what age must the rabbits be for the pelts to be in there prime, say, for a Silver Fox?

The body type of basically all of the rabbit breeds you have mentioned is the same - what the ARBA calls commercial type. That means they are supposed to have well-filled, muscular bodies. Some may take a little bit longer to reach slaughter weight because their adult size is a bit smaller, but when you get down to it, you can eat any rabbit - they all taste the same. Shoot, I used to know a guy who bred dynamite Netherland Dwarfs, and ate his culls, though he said the only parts worth bothering with were the loin and back legs.

That was what I was aiming for when choosing breeds. :) Do you have any particular suggestions on which breeds seem to be the most heat tolerant? I was thinking of Florida Whites because I read that they were smaller blocks of meat on legs, and were fairly heat tolerant! But I also love how Silver Foxes look, and can only imagine how nice the pelts would be...
Oh my god, Netherland Dwarves? XD I always wanted one as a pet when I was younger...they're just so freaking adorable.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm a veritable plethora of conflicting issues, :barnie leading to the inevitable conclusion :oldthat you should quit your day job and open a rabbitry :clap:wootencompassing the full gambit of possibilities. :weee

Your property covered with large, climate controlled breeding houses for each of the three "types"; meat/fiber/pelt. :thumbsup Maybe a 4th building specifically for the cuteness bunnies as pets. :love And each building of sufficient size to handle several breeds within. With a proper business plan in place you could market all sorts of items; meat/pelts/fiber/pets/show quality rabbits, right down to organic fertilizer :sick I know, I know... :hide :smack

This is about where my mind goes when thinking about all the various livestock I want... goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, bees, maybe a steer or 2 or 3, maybe some meat rabbits... And I haven't even sold my present little place to buy the bigger place to handle all these "wants". Then when I get the bigger place, there's all that required infrastructure :hit I'm by myself and not getting any younger.. Don't know that I'll ever get to the point I envision.:idunno

Hope you're still with us down the road when you finally start bringing your ideas to fruition. We'll want pics or it never happened! ;)

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
OH! I actually thought it wasn't recessive because of Satin Angoras was a cross between a French Angora and a Satin rabbit, then bred from there as a breed...

Satin is also recessive; the creator(s) of the Satin Angora really had their work cut out for them.

June2012

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hmmmm a veritable plethora of conflicting issues, :barnie leading to the inevitable conclusion :oldthat you should quit your day job and open a rabbitry :clap:wootencompassing the full gambit of possibilities. :weee

Your property covered with large, climate controlled breeding houses for each of the three "types"; meat/fiber/pelt. :thumbsup Maybe a 4th building specifically for the cuteness bunnies as pets. :love And each building of sufficient size to handle several breeds within. With a proper business plan in place you could market all sorts of items; meat/pelts/fiber/pets/show quality rabbits, right down to organic fertilizer :sick I know, I know... :hide :smack

This is about where my mind goes when thinking about all the various livestock I want... goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, bees, maybe a steer or 2 or 3, maybe some meat rabbits... And I haven't even sold my present little place to buy the bigger place to handle all these "wants". Then when I get the bigger place, there's all that required infrastructure :hit I'm by myself and not getting any younger.. Don't know that I'll ever get to the point I envision.:idunno

Hope you're still with us down the road when you finally start bringing your ideas to fruition. We'll want pics or it never happened! ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I love that idea!! I wish, but I need my goats, cows, sheep and poultry free ranging everywhere lol. Ugh, but it honestly seems so amazingly great. And just imagine, what if it was all humane certified and everything? Plus all heritage breeds? I would more than anything want it! I also planned solar paneled A/C and heating for my future barns :cool:
I also want to tell you something... Age is honestly just perception, and the end is when your body gives out. My mother became a nurse at the age of 53. She always wanted to be one, but life was a PITA. Achieving dreams is about will power and work, that's it! :)

Satin is also recessive; the creator(s) of the Satin Angora really had their work cut out for them.

Dang... Maybe I should have an Angora farm with meat rabbits on the side for self-sustainability. :celebrate