Teff grass hay

breezy B ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of or used Teff hay for their horses? Our feed store just started carrying it. They say it is good for horses but I was hoping to find people who are not bias to give me their opinion.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Saw some sold at the hay auction once, kind of wide leafed, grassy stuff. But it looked nice, was soft and of
good color. Went a bit high for my wallet, so I didn't get it to try.

Seems to me the advantage of Teff Hay was supposed to be in the calories, maybe low sugars, which
is important to many obese horses. Those horses are quite prone to laminitus, so you have to be very
careful of what you feed them in hay choices.

You should do a search, find out details on the Teff hay, so you have an idea of what it is going to do for
your animals in the way of nutrition values. The research articles, advertising for Teff Seed, should help
you get a better picture of this as a food product and for what kind of animals.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just bought two round bales of Tiffany Teff for my dairy goats. The nutritional quality is comparable to timothy.

They really like it. I normally feed coastal berumuda, but when it ran out this spring I had to give fescue. My goats do not eat it as well and they definitely will not eat the thicker stems. It's been so wet, a lot of the first cut of coastal was made into haylage, so I decided to try the Teff.

So far so good. The price was the same too, $35.

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Teff Hay is excellent for horses. I would recommend it. :)