The 411 on all things pasture..

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wanted to know how, when and all of pasture planting and fertilizing. I have no idea what to use or when to add what. Do you pay someone that does this as a profession or what??
We are in VA and 4.8acres of very hilly mountain rocks under the soil. We got the house in spring, so I have no idea what to do with it to keep it good for our two horses.
Please help me out! One neighbor is an *ss and no one likes to deal with them. Our new hay guy even refused to sell to them because the caused him too much annoyance. The other is very hard of hearing and I don't think he is that sane. Said he owned and built our house and 50 acres all around, but that doesn't seem to be quite so true. Another is a tree cutter, they seemed nice, but then they never showed to cut out our dying tree. So...I need y'all to help me out. We've got dial up, so it's taking forever to even figure out what to even properly look for!

Quinn4321

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It is definately a matter of preference, and to your area.
You can get someone to seed with pasture seed in the spring or fall, but it is tricky to get the timing right so there is not too much or too little rain.
Fertilizing is not necessary, but you can do it if you wish.
When do you want grass? If you want good grass right away in the spring, you should seed this fall. But then there is the possibility of an early freeze killing it.
Or you can be patient and seed in the spring, but havee to wait longer for the good grass.
Look around for a knowledgable person to help you, and I would suggest paying someone cabable to help you seed the fields.
Hope this helps. :)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Go to your local co-op feed store, they may have advice there for you. They sell alot of pasture seed to local farmers.

Go to your local extension office.

Hey: need any goats? :D that rocky 4.5 acres would be perfect for them, and they do well rotating pasture with horses.

We are in the valley, Harrisonburg to be exact, where are you located?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know you should be seeding pretty soon for next springs growth. As far as seed type, can't help you there.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only issue with a fence is my pony is dead set on going through any and all fencing.
I've seem pasture horse seed, don't have a spreader though.
If I add goats, I'll have to add more hay to my winter storage. What kind of goats are they?