Timing breeding...what are my options?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I just taped my 7 month old doeling, and she is about 80 lbs at 29.5".....I was quite surprised. She has been growing quite well, but I really figured on trying to breed her in January, hoping she was well over 80 lbs by then. Now it seems like I have more options. So if you will help me think out loud, I'd appreciate your comments.

I plan to breed the lactating doe in December for May kids, or maybe late November. I was thinking of breeding the two does about two months apart so that I could still milk one while the other is dry, then wean one set of kids about when the second set are born.

Would it be better to breed both does about the same time so the kids are all about the same age? I plan to sell all bucklings and possibly keep two doelings, if I get two.

My main purpose in keeping these goats is for dairy products for my family. But I always factor in what is best for the animals, too.

And yes, I do understand that what I have in mind and what actually will happen can be two very different things!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see why it would matter if all kids are born at the same time or not. The only thing would be that it would be fun to see all of them playing together. But is that really a good enough reason when you want the milk. Especially since your plan is to sell most of them. If one set is weaned before the other is born, then hopefully you would have them sold anyway.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
That is kinda what I was thinking, but I know there is more experience here. Thanks for validating!

Any other thoughts?

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would plan to have them born on the same day or within 1-3 days of each other. You will find that life is much simpler when you are taking care of the same issues(shots, disbudding, banding, feeding) all within the same range of age. Also, the kids will get along much better when they are all the same age...

Latest posts