weathers with buck

Birchhatchery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i have 2 pygmy weathers and one buck i dont have any does will they be fine together when their older and will it put to much stress on the buck to never breed him?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IF they are the same size, they may be fine together, whethers are kep as pen mates to keep bucks company all the time. My concern would be if the buck decides to pick one of them to ride all the time. It could be really hard on the smaller whether, but only time will tell that.

If you aren't planning on using him to breed, why not whether him also?

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think it would depend on the personality of the buck too. We have one buck who's a super aggressive breeder and he'd make a wether miserable. Our other two bucks would most likely be fine with one.

Birchhatchery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
hes older and i dont belive in banding/cutting when their older and i may want to breed him in a year or 2 the bucks 5 months old and the 2 weathers are 2 in a half months old all very freindly

Birchhatchery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
also another ? can i get my goats tested for CAE AND CL deises at any vet office? what is the best mineral to give goats i have a goat builder block but they dont seem to use it anymore?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As far as the testing I am sure it varies from between vets.

As far as the minerals, I don't know if anyone knows the answer to that.

Loose minerals seem to be the consensus, but I recently talked to a farmer of 35 years that swears by red block minerals for her goats, and she seemed to know a lot.

We used Sweetlix, and many people like that brand, but not available in all areas. Our co-op stopped selling sweetlix and started making their own, I have been pretty happy with that one also.

Some people started trying Cargill Right Now Onyx minerals for cattle, and it is getting pretty good reviews with all the goat people. Beef have a fairly high copper requirement as do goats, so the loose beef minerals can work pretty well. but it is hard for a goat to lick enough salt and minerals off of a block.

there are minerals designed for forage/pasture with a proper calcium to phosphorus ratio, and there are minerals designed for lactating does on alfalfa feeds, In these minerals the calcium would be lower assuming they are gettting it from the alfalfa. You wouldn't want this kind of mineral for bucks and whethers, since the phosphorus would be too high in it.

You don't want any more than 1.2 parts phosphorus to 2 parts calcium, in growing bucks and whethers, So pretty close to twice as much calcium than phosphorus.

sorry if I carried on about something you already new about.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Birchhatchery said:
hes older and i dont belive in banding/cutting when their older and i may want to breed him in a year or 2 the bucks 5 months old and the 2 weathers are 2 in a half months old all very freindly
I have a 5year old, 12month old, and 6 month old all together right now, and I have been keeping an eye on them, but they are doing just fine. They are in about a 3/4 acre grass lot.

Birchhatchery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i have a block mineral they are are not on pasture now i feed them free choice grass/alfafa mixed hay and a lil goat grain once a day

Greendecember

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good question. I have 2, 2 month old bucks and a 2 month old doe all with my 4 older does for the moment. I plan to weather Abe and see if I can train him to be a pack goat or pull a cart for me. My husband is intent on leaving D'Argo intact. They are both "mutts" Moms are Pygmy/Boer crosses and the sires are either a Pygmy or a Togg. I'm guessing Abe's Dad is a Pygmy and D'Argo's dad was the Togg. I told hubby that means we need more does so he can have his own doe / does. I thought that would stop him but nope without batting an eye he said ok pick the kind you want. So either way Abe will be weathered I just hope D'Argo isn't too hard on him if we leave him intact.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
5 month is not to old to castrate, you may find him hard to live with in a year or two.

And yes the wethers should be fine w/ him.