Weight Gains

MidnightChickenLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How much should a newborn boer goat gain in the first week? I've had the biggest set of twins yet, both at around 12 lbs, the one closer to 13. The larger one just gained 5 lbs his first week. Is this good, average or poor? Just asking :p

MidnightChickenLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Haha, thanks... he's a big little sucker now. We have two ones that are a week younger and a 1 two weeks younger.. and he looks like he's about a month older than them all. He's getting big fast... Probably arleady around 30 (maybe more)... I need to weigh him... (he's not even a month yet :p )..

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had a Nubian buckling born last year we kept weekly weights on- he was 9.5 lbs when he was born and the day he turned 8 weeks he weighed 45 lbs. :ep He was 28.5 at a month.

When he was about 7 weeks old I noticed him fast asleep in the afternoon sun working like he was nursing. The kid even nursed in his dreams! :lol:

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
I had a Nubian buckling born last year we kept weekly weights on- he was 9.5 lbs when he was born and the day he turned 8 weeks he weighed 45 lbs. :ep He was 28.5 at a month.

When he was about 7 weeks old I noticed him fast asleep in the afternoon sun working like he was nursing. The kid even nursed in his dreams! :lol:
I've got a LaMancha kid like that right now! He's putting on about half a pound a day and he acts like he is starved even when he's so full he looks like a little balloon! And he does the sucking noises while he sleeps too. His mom's a milk factory, she's feeding three kids and giving me half a gallon for the house too, and she's putting out about 6% butterfat...that boy is going to be HUGE!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
n.smithurmond said:

I've got a LaMancha kid like that right now! He's putting on about half a pound a day and he acts like he is starved even when he's so full he looks like a little balloon! And he does the sucking noises while he sleeps too. His mom's a milk factory, she's feeding three kids and giving me half a gallon for the house too, and she's putting out about 6% butterfat...that boy is going to be HUGE!
Holy smokes! Are you doing a milk test? I have a doe about to freshen I was thinking about having tested through ADGA and I'd love to hear your experience with it!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OUr new herd sire at (6weeks)43 days old weighed 45 lbs and at 3 1/2 months weighs 80lbs. Boer.