What Do You Think Of Her?

MiniRexGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
HI,
This is my sisters 3 month old Black Tort Holland Lop Doe. I am wondering what you all think of her. She is thinking on breeding her next year. She currently weighs 2.5 lbs.

Dutch Blitz
DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

Connorrm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What do we think in regards of? Cuteness, type, show potential?

Connorrm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMHO it's low in the shoulders, low headset, long in the ear and for sure has a slipped crown.

MiniRexGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, so when she gets a buck she wants one that has ether good shoulders, headset, ear length, or crown (or all four). That way she can work on fixing that. I am new to rabbit breeding myself but I know enough to know that when you breed rabbits and you have one with a fault, you breed it to a rabbit that is strong in that area in order to fix the problem in your line.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's a good idea, and much less expensive, to start out with good stock that conforms to the breed standard. Breeding-up over several generations is not impossible but it's surely a huge challenge and expense that often doesn't work out as hoped. It's unlikely that offspring from a rabbit that has many faults will be show table worthy even if bred with a rabbit that's a "perfect" breed standard. The results are more likely to end up with offspring that have the faults of both parents.

MiniRexGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
K, well after talking to my sister she said that she is just interested on breeding as a hobby (not necessarily for show) and selling to pet stores (which is where she got Blitz). So she doesn't really care as to the quality of the rabbits as those rabbits mainly go to pet/4H homes. Quite different from my Mini Rex breeding goal of breeding a Best of Breed winner.

Connorrm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
dewey said:
It's a good idea, and much less expensive, to start out with good stock that conforms to the breed standard. Breeding-up over several generations is not impossible but it's surely a huge challenge and expense that often doesn't work out as hoped. It's unlikely that offspring from a rabbit that has many faults will be show table worthy even if bred with a rabbit that's a "perfect" breed standard. The results are more likely to end up with offspring that have the faults of both parents.
10/10 well said!