When to purchase hay?

iowafarmlady

Just born
Reaction score
Good morning! My husband and I have just started our new herd of Hereford cattle, and we are newbies at this. We are wondering when is the best time of year to buy hay for wintering over our cattle. We have already purchased about 150 square bales of hay (both brome and alfalfa) to give over the winter, but we think we'll need about another 150 before winter is out. We were wondering if we are better off buying now (Oct) or if we will get better prices in mid winter. Right now, we are seeing small squares advertised for $3.50 each.

Thank you for your help!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It really depends on your area. Here where I live, you need to purchase your hay when they cut it. No guarantees on hay mid winter and the prices are usually high.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
how many head do you have?

It depends upon your winter too.

Hubby and I try to have at least 2 years worth of hay on hand, because you never know what is going to happen.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
It is usually cheapest bought off the field. That way the farmer doesn't have to store it and move it twice. It is most expensive mid-late winter and in a bad year can be almost impossible to find in the spring. At least in my area.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've NEVER lived nor heard of anywhere that hay prices *drop* going through the winter. Mid and late winter are generally the most expensive times. (Next late-spring, you can get some 'cheaper' prices on by-then-one-year-old-and-not-so-good hay, but it's not generally worth it)

I would say for SURE buy all that you can store. IMHO if you have the cash available it is better to slightly over- rather than under-buy, since if it is a mild winter or you've overestimated your needs, it is usually not difficult to resell the extra remaining hay in late winter or spring. Whereas if it is a bad winter, or you've underestimated your needs, it is sometimes extremely expensive or downright impossible to make up the difference (at least with good quality hay).

If you have appropriate storage space and a tractor to handle it, you might consider purchasing a different format of hay (round bales or large squares). The small squares you're buying are generally the most expensive way to buy hay ($ per weight). Although if you only have a couple cattle and no tractor at this point, they do offer some advantages.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

iowafarmlady

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice! I think we'll buy some now.

We don't have the equipment to handle the large round bales now, and we only have 5 head at this time.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Great!:thumbsup

Square bales are pretty easy to feed. Especially when you have a small number of animals.

You know how much to feed by how much they eat.
Are you got to spread it out or feed in a bunk?

We fed our main herd out in the pasture spreading it. Our calves that we kept back we feed in a feed bunk.
After the winter of hauling out 2 loads of 30 square bales we got a round baler. then DH made a round bale handler.