wire nesting box

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love that nest box! Have you ever tried it in the summer without the cardboard? My rabbit hasn't had any problems with the one I made for her, and it's nice to be able to see right into the nest.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do use the wire nest box without the side cardboard in hot weather. I like to put cardboard on the bottom as I think it helps get the nest out easier when the kits are done with the nest.

Yes, being able to easily see in the nest is very important to me too.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A bit late I know, but how do you attatch the nest to the bottom of the cage? Have you used the optional cover? How do those attatch?

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I tie down the nest box on the side of the box to the side of the cage with wire. (I buy my wire at Lowe's) If I don't secure the nest this way, mama drags the nestbox around the cage.

AnimalMom, I've cut down the front of the nestbox by a few inches so the mother can more easily go in and out. I also thought it would make it easier for the babies later, but found that the lip on the front seemed to make it harder for the babies to jump out of the box. So, when they turn 18 days old I unhook the door and leave it open so the babies can easier get in and out of the box (I then secure the hooks to the bottom of the cage to keep the door open.)

Terri, now that it is cooler I do use the optional cover. BUT, (and AnimalMom, please tell me if you had the same problem) the front of the cover was as sharp as some of my knives, and I was concerned that it could be a recipe for a disaster (I could just see the mom slicing herself open while trying to jump in the box.) So, I took the piece of the nest box that I cut off from the front and attached it to the cover, and used some spring latches I found at Lowes to connect the two to the nest box. (I'll try to post pics later) Now the sharp edge is not exposed where one of the rabbits could hurt themselves on it.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks. I was thinking of making a plywood liner for under the lid. I can make it a little long to cover the edge.

I need to see how they attatch under the cage. We have problems with bobcats. They cant get TO the cages, but I've had a rabbit panic and kill it's self from the stress (I think). I want to give my buns a hidy hole to make them feel safer.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've not had any problems with the does getting in or out of the nest box... can't say some doe won't decide the wire nest box is too high for her to jump into. Also I've not used a lid so I can't really say much about that...

Seems to me, just my opinion, that if a doe is going to injure herself getting in or out of any nest box, she would injure her teats. I'd watch for hungry kits who had previously been well fed and if I saw that I'd check to see if the doe's teats looked inflamed and felt hot. Mastitis would make the doe not want to nurse. Again this is something I've (knock wood) have not had in my rabbits, but it does happen and you would need to check with your vet as to what to do for the doe.

I set my nest boxes in the doe's cage instead of installing the box in the floor. My rabbitry set-up won't allow that configuration. Vickie if you have does who drag their boxes around their cage then keep those monsters in OK! Those are no ordinary rabbits! :)

Raising rabbits is a great experiment in what works for ... YOU and your rabbits. If you and your rabbits are happy, healthy and having fun raising each other then you are doing what you should be doing. If someone, be it two legged or four legged, isn't happy, healthy and having fun then something needs to be addressed.

Go out and pet your bunny... you will feel good, the bun will feel good and the world just might be a tad better... at least your portion of the world. Me, I'm going out and play with my rabbits. I need it.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've not had any problems with injured teats. When I first put the Bass nest boxes in the cage the doe acted like she wanted in, but after hopping around the box gave up. My cages are only 16 inches high, and the boxes were 12 inches high, leaving only 4 inches above the box to jump in. She was not happy about that at all. That is why I cut down the front of the box to the same height as my wooden nest boxes (6 inches). She promptly jumped in at that point.

The cover is just a sheet of stainless steel cut to cover that back half. The pieces I got had a sharp edge. I asked my daughter to feel it also, and asked her opinion. She was like me, and thought it very well could seriously injure a rabbit's back if she scraped it while jumping out of the box. So I took the portion of the front of the nest box that was cut off, since it had the lip on it, and covered that part of the cover. It works quite well, and looks great!

How were your rabbits, AnimalMom? I want you to know that Cyril and Abbie are doing great! They really are sweethearts! Cyril had his first job today, and he did wonderful. (I think it was love at first sight for both of them! ;) )

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah well, I now understand where your doe would balk at the wire nest box ... short ceiling! Good observation and reaction on your part!

Glad to hear the rabbits are doing well for you. My gang are in a holding pattern, finishing doing up the nursery, and knitting the final booties (just joking everyone know rabbits don't knit, they crochet).

Looking forward to some babies in the next few days.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
"Vickie if you have does who drag their boxes around their cage then keep those monsters in OK! Those are no ordinary rabbits! :)"

Laura, all my does have a problem pulling the wire nest boxes around the cage. You don't have that problem with your cages? If I don't secure it in the corner of the cage there's no telling where it will end up. I don't know if they would do this after they kindle and there's babies in it, but I don't want to test them on it either.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vickie;

No, really, I've not had any of my does rearrange the position of their nest box. Those are some determined does you have!