Woven Field Fence in Woods for Nigerian Dwarfs

stevin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is this even possible?
the terrain in not all that flat with some small hills and dips. could I use some of the trees as posts but still placing post between trees. what would be the greatest distance between 2 trees before I would have to install an actual post?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't attach to the trees myself. Pick your path based on what you have to clear the least. Then, start cutting my friend, and I say this based on very recent experience.

Fence 3.jpg

Fence 5.jpg

fence 1.jpg

Last edited:

stevin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That looks great! how tall is that fencing and how far apart are those posts?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
4ft fence posts are spaced 8 ft
I never took any more pics where it runs in woods I'll take some this weekend
In the 3rd pic you can see where I ran a hot wire about a foot high to keep them from rubbing on it and stretching

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do not nail fence to trees. I say this based on old and recent experience. Put up field fence 17 years ago around 16 acres. It was mostly wooded and naturally the biggest, prettiest trees were on the fence line. We couldn't bear to cut them, so wove the fence in and out of the trees with posts in between. That would have been fine, had we sold property immediately. But if you plan on keeping your property any length of time, sadly, you must cut trees for a clear, straight fence line.

Know what happens years later when trees die and your fence is nailed to a now dead tree? Know what happens when the dead tree falls down? Know what happens when suddenly your livestock has a downed fence and they escape to 700 acres of wilderness? Or worse, out on the road?

Do yourself a HUGE favor and do it right the first time. It will cost you more time, labor and money later to replace. Not to mention that every storm will bring it's own set of problems.

I rode that fence line just last week. We have sold that property, but still have our horses on it until we can fence the new property. You can't see it, but there is a fence in those trees.

Joe checking fence.jpg

stevin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
some great points here! thank you!
I will definitely not be bracing the field fencing to trees now.
how will the woven field fencing do on an uneven terrain? for the most part the ground is relatively flat with the exception of a few areas that have small hills and some small dips. does the woven fence have more vertical flexibility versus the welded wire fence?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends on the size of those small hills and dips. Put a T-post on top of the small hill, stretch wire to it. Small dips, if just a hole, fill it in, if it slopes down, then back up, put a T-post in the middle of the dip. You might try to level some of these areas if you can.

I wouldn't use welded wire for serious fencing. It has a tendency to come apart if animals abuse it. Pawing the fence, butting the fence or any of the other things that the little darlings do. :lol:

We raised our backyard fence 3 more feet with welded wire to contain our Great Pyrenees. She bites the wire and shakes it and has torn the welds loose.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I took some pictures of the fence running through the woods where the first pics of the holes are at.
Pick the path of least resistance. You want the fence straight, but in the woods it doesn't have to be perfectly straight. I didn't worry about making a slight turn if it was going to avoid taking down a large tree.

And what I did was start with a machete and prunning sheers to pick a path, basically just a walking trail. Then as the trail became more defined, bring in the bush axe and the chain saw last. And, you don't have to always have a very wide space either.

fence 1.jpg

fence 2.jpg

fence 3.jpg

fence 5.jpg

fence 6.jpg

fence 7.jpg

fence 8.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dang, that's a good looking fence. And in addition to being a good looking fence - that is a STRAIGHT fence! We don't have those in my part of Texas, lol! Not a Texas problem per se, more of a fence builder problem... :hide