12 day old doeling first diahrea now not eating...

mjgh06

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You really need to check her temp. You don't have a human thermometer you can use? The kind that beeps? Place it in her bum covering the silver tip, when it beeps you have her temp. Normal is 102.5 to 104. If she is shivering I would think it is low and you need to get it up. Fill up your sink with as hot of water as you can take, place little one in a garbage bag with her head out, get her into the water and continue putting the warm water over her for fifteen minutes. Do not let the water get cold. Afterwards dry her with a blow dryer on hot about 8-10 inches from her. Warm some towels in the dryer or use a heating pad covered with a towel and warm her with them for another fifteen minutes or so. Then treat as below:

If she was fine before going to get disbudded, then I say it is a reaction from getting disbudded. The vet may have burned deeper on her and she went into shock - makes sense if she is grinding teeth which means pain. I would get her on B1, b12, probios, and baking soda as follows

Use over the counter B1 and B12, B1 give 1 tablet of 250mg 2xd and then 1 Tablet B1 per day for a week or as needed. Same with B12 Purchase the 2000mcg bottles of B12 - give 2 tablets 2xday then once a day for week or length needed.

Probios use about 2 tsp 2xd

Baking soda 1 tsp

You can crush the vitamins up and mix it with the probios and baking soda then mix with water into a 3cc syringe and drench her with it, or give individually.

If she has a fever or if it is not low I would also give her Banamine (Fluxixin Meglumine- 50mg/ml) Always take temp prior to giving, if temp is low do NOT give. It is used for fever, smooth muscle relaxant, pain reliever and to stimulate the rumen. Dose 1 cc per 100 lbs body weight IM, but can be used at a rate of 1/2 cc per 25-30 lbs once daily - treat no more than three days. Keep refrigerated. Milk withhold 3-4 days.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That article said to give Thiamine or B1. I have the B-complex which I had thought to give her but I have no idea what a safe dosage would be.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
mjgh06, I forgot to refresh the page...
I have no thermometer of any kind. If any of my 3 children gets sick my husband feels their forehead and tells me yes or no. She was shivering even in the house until we stocked the woodstove as much as we could. Because of the weather we now have all of them inside and she is no longer shivering. However, I am still concerned.

As I said I have the B-complex but I could probably get the other stuff at walgreens tomorrow if you think its better. Should I give the others anything just to give them a boost and be sure? I have heard of too many people loosing kids and I want to do everything I can to avoid that. I also have probios that I bought at the co-op today which came in a tube and I have baking soda. Let me know about the vitamins and I will do it.

Thank you!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess there is a Fortified B-Complex and a B complex Plus, and they are different. But B vitamins are just water soluable and the goat will pee them out, if she isn't dehydrated. I can't really find a dosing for the Plus but the Fortified is 5 mL per 100 pounds of body weight.

I hope that mjgh06 is right and it is just a reaction to the disbudding. That can be dangerous, but probably better than FKS or Entero.

Do you have a neighbor you can borrow a thermometer from? If she has a temp and you don't have banamine I found this, but if she has a low temp you don't want to give the aspirin either.

"BABY ASPIRIN (81 mg) If the goat is teeth grinding, indicating pain, you can crush up one baby
aspirin for each 10 pounds of goat. Drizzle with molasses and dissolve in hot water. Give to goat
orally, and can be given every 4 hours, as needed. Note: this may seem like a lot of aspirin for a larger
goat, but it takes a large dose to cross the brain synapsis and have any effect. You can use adult aspirin,
as long as you are careful of the 81 mg per 10 lb. ratio. Real aspirin, and not Ibupropen or Tylenol is
important, as the vehicle those medicines are carried in can severely irritate the goats stomach lining
and affect their sense of balance."

Here is something else I found that you can try.

"BABY MAGIC This is the recipe you can make at home, equaling the commercial product Nutra
Drench. It stimulates appetite, eases stress, helps with hydration, gives a boost of energy, boosts the
natural immune system, and is considered by most goats to be a treat. I use it most often right after a
doe kids. This is the basic recipe, and I usually multiply it enough to come up with half a gallon or so.

8 ounces very hot water Stir vigorously and serve to goat hot. They appreciate a hot drink
2 Tbsp. Molasses much the same as we enjoy a cup of coffee, tea or cocoa.
2 Tbsp. Light Karo Syrup
tsp. Salt
tsp. Baking soda"

I hope she gets better for you. I hate it when babies are sick. I had three sick last year, the same night, all with something different. I hated going to the barn that night.

mjgh06

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
dejavoodoo114 said:
mjgh06, I forgot to refresh the page...
I have no thermometer of any kind. If any of my 3 children gets sick my husband feels their forehead and tells me yes or no. She was shivering even in the house until we stocked the woodstove as much as we could. Because of the weather we now have all of them inside and she is no longer shivering. However, I am still concerned.

As I said I have the B-complex but I could probably get the other stuff at walgreens tomorrow if you think its better. Should I give the others anything just to give them a boost and be sure? I have heard of too many people loosing kids and I want to do everything I can to avoid that. I also have probios that I bought at the co-op today which came in a tube and I have baking soda. Let me know about the vitamins and I will do it.

Thank you!
Okay same principle with a goat - I have used this method to check for low temp when my thermometer broke on me. Pinch as far down in the ear as you can or press two fingers down in the ear. If it feels really warm almost hot your good - at least not a low temp. If it is slightly warm to not/hot/notwarm, then low temp and needs immediate treatment to bring temp up. Ask your husband to do it, he should feel like it is when he knows your child has a fever that is normal for a goat.

Go ahead and dose with the probios and baking soda and the Bcomplex. I've not used the gel probios before - use it as directed. Mainstay for medicine chest for goats is probios, B1, B12, thermometer, activated or fish tank charcoal, molasses, baking soda, and pepto bismal. Try to keep these always on hand.

Does she still have diarrhea? If so I would not do the molassess/karo syrup recipe given - that will make it worse. For diarrhea give Pepto-Bismol Helps control diarrhea -give 3 cc every four to six hours until it returns to normal.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
mjgh06 said:
Does she still have diarrhea? If so I would not do the molassess/karo syrup recipe given - that will make it worse. For diarrhea give Pepto-Bismol Helps control diarrhea -give 3 cc every four to six hours until it returns to normal.
Good point, I think I remember reading that the diarrhea was gone a few days ago, before she got disbudded.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She got better slowly but she I can say for sure now that she is better. The vitamin B shot seemed to help a lot. She ate all of her food all day today and was playing as much as the others. I think it must have been the pain from the disbudding although it is weird that the other 4 didn't have any problems. In fact, from the way they acted nothing had happened... They even continued to head but our older pyr to try and get him to play with him. :hu

Thank you all for your help and babsbag, I will be sure to have the CD antitoxin on hand next time. And a thermometer! I still can't believe I forgot it when I went to the co-op mainly for that! And, before you say it, I had a list that was in my hand and checked multiple times.... Sheesh!

Much relieved now :D

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am very glad she is better; I was really worried about her, and you.The little ones can go downhill so fast. Thanks for the update.

I raised goats for 3 years before I needed the CD antitoxin and never had it on hand until last year. Then when I decided to be really prepared it was on backorder everywhere. I finally found it and I ended up needing it for the first time. I have quite a few friends that raise goats and we tend to share drugs when we need to which is really handy. I won't be without again.

I don't keep a lot of drugs, but I do have Pen G, CD and tetanus antitoxin, Thiamine, Tylan, Duramycin, and epinephrine. Hopefully it will cover me until I can get to a vet. And I have my vet on speed dial :) (And her home number)

LBFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
For future reference, Jeffers Livestock usually has the C&D Anti-toxin and will ship it out to you overnight, for something like $12, which isn't bad at all for overnight. I had to do that last year when one of my bucklings got into the chicken feed and bloated really bad. Gave him lots of baking soda and then the C&D Anti-Toxin & he was fine. Had another buckling do the same thing a few weeks later, he turned out fine too. (Now there are 20,000 volts separating the goats from the chicken feed!)