13 month old buck...

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a buck that I would like to butcher that is 13 months. My question is…since he is not in rut and therefore not stinky, will he taste 'bucky"? If so, I may just sell him. It's definitely too late to castrate him, and I don't want to butcher him if he will taste like a buck. WE just butchered a year old wether. I was SHOCKED at how delicious the meat is!!!

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Anyone know the answer? Surely someone has done this!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry...but I have hair sheep. Have never even tasted goat in my life, but would like to one day if I get the opportunity. In our area people keep goats just for brush control and no one eats them, so no help from me.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are so right about goat meat being delicious. I've never butchered a buck either - BUT - there are a lot of ethnic groups who wont butcher anything BUT an intact buck. Surely, they can't all be wrong!

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just don't want to butcher him if there is the slightest chance of a bucky/goaty taste. I would rather sell him to someone who likes that taste.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We did ours and it was fine.
Just take care to remove the legs where the scent glands are without cross contaminating the meat. Think of it this way. People shoot buck deer all the time and if they know what they are doing its delicious.