2017 Bee hive swarm information, history, lessons, successes, etc.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Babs,

We do not do the sugar roll for mite counts. Another method is called the alcohol method. It too is very accurate. Here, we simply monitor the mite drop count our our sticky bottom boards. Presently, we have not even one mite showing up...so our bees are doing well.

We have begun the Nicot queen rearing system a couple of weeks ago. It is a bit time consuming and also requires diligent inspections, some times on a daily basis. Presently, two of our strongest queens are in the Nicot egg box, laying eggs like crazy. We will wait 1-2 more days before transferring them into the queen cell builder hive. Then, 21 days before we have hundreds of queens and begin the process of making up the nucs...

Babs, presently it appears as if we will not have NUCS available until mid April. So sorry.

We have four hives that are incredibly aggressive in regards to bring in the honey, building comb, and laying eggs. One queen is consistently laying approximately 2,000 eggs per day. Never seen hives grow this fast ever. Within one week, we had to install the second super and that too is nearly full. Third super went on this weekend.

One hive was a bit too "hot" for our liking. But it went back to normal within a couple of days. We believe a mouse at night was riling them up.

At this rate, we will continue to place a new super on every 7-10 days.

I have eaten more honey and pollen and comb in the last week than I have in the last 10 years...feel like Winnie the Pooh! Now hoping my tummy does not look like Winnie the Pooh!

My wife found, caught and marked every queen from every hive in a matter of minutes...I am still shocked...even the master beekeepers that have visited us struggled finding the queens. In the past, I have looked for over 30 minutes on one hive and still did not find the queen! My wife has a gift I suppose.

Swarm Update:

Really disappointing. I was counting on having caught 5-10 hives before April. We are still batting 0.00%. Rain may have something to do with this...but, I discovered another reason...

Stupid yellow jackets invading every empty hive and every swarm trap, nearly every three days. They will post one or two guards at the entrance, then the others will begin building their paper nest inside. Really frustrating. I have to climb up and remove every trap, open it up, kill the wasps, then re-bait. This fall I will go out of my way to find every wasp nest I can and destroy them.

Posting a pic of our newest swarm trap...

Good day to all!

2.JPG

Last edited:

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE: Checked the swarm trap today and noticed more bees entering and exiting the swarm trap than many of our nice hives...so strange...perhaps the bees already swarmed and moved into our swarm trap? Dang, I wanted to see the large "beard" of bees on the outside just as they did on all the other swarms...

I will check later today or tomorrow to see if there is a swarm inside the box...

Please give me some good advice if ya have some!

Thank you!

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE: 04.05.17

Sweet success! Caught a large swarm, but missed seeing it move into the box! For two days, we kept seeing large numbers of bees entering and exiting the swarm trap. Climbed up the tree this evening and sure enough...large swarm of super gentle bees in the box. We boxed them, added some frames of honey, eggs, larvae, and pollen, then set them in our bee yard. Will give a report next week on their condition.

Hope to rehang the swarm trap, but for now, in a different place so they are not tempted to go back to the same spot!

PS I am seriously thinking about hanging all remaining swarm traps at 6ft. level. Then, no ladder required and much easier and safer to inspect, re-bait, and remove the swarm in the box. Any thoughts on this?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Awesome swarm catch!

I've only caught 1 swarm, so I don't have any advise to offer.

Thank you Happy!

Today I re-baited three swarm traps and within minutes saw some scout bees checking out the swarm trap in the tree. I am thinking I may move the swarm trap that is atop a 4x6x16 ft. pole and place it up in another tree. I am beginning to think that scout bees may be more inclined to guide a swarm to a location up in a tree rather than up top of a bare pole...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on the swarm catch. I never got mine set up this year and with all that is going on in my life right now it has been moved to the "something to do next year" list.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations on the swarm catch. I never got mine set up this year and with all that is going on in my life right now it has been moved to the "something to do next year" list.

Babs,

Well, I know what it is like to feel overwhelmed with way too many projects! That has been the story of my life ever since moving to a ranch. I suppose I have learned that it comes with the territory.

Don't worry about the swarm traps. You can always do it later. I am sure there are much more important priorities.

Here, I wanted to assemble 10-20 swarm traps. Never happened. Simply not enough time due to other priorities. I did hang 3 traps, caught one swarm.

I believe I will catch some more swarms once the rain stops.

I wish I did not miss the bee "beard" on that last swarm! I suppose they swarmed and entered the swarm box before I could see it!

Good news is it is a very healthy hive, housed in a Langstroth hive box, building up at the moment. So no complaints from me at all. I could not find the queen when transferring it into the Langstroth hive box. I will wait another few days, then recheck. If I cannot find the queen, I will throw in some larvae and eggs, more honey frames, more pollen frames, and watch em' make their own queen. If they struggle making a queen, I will re-queen the hive myself.

Hope to show lots of "Bee Beards" pics in the near future!

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have an empty hive, if that counts as a "swarm trap". :lol: Maybe someone will move in and I won't have to do a split. It does have honey in it.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have an empty hive, if that counts as a "swarm trap". :lol: Maybe someone will move in and I won't have to do a split. It does have honey in it.

HC,

I would gladly welcome an empty hive as a swarm trap, but I would not leave any honey in it due to attracting robber bees...

I would recommend closing the entrance to 1 square inch, placing a couple of frames of old, dark comb, then rub with lemon grass oil or spray with a lure.

My same swarm trap had a new crowd of scout bees checking out their new motel today...if all goes right, should have a new swarm within next couple of days...