2020, Waiting on Lambs!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Edited

Disbanded the breeding groups today.
20191122_162846.jpg

Kibito & Majin got new coats, but I failed to mention that they weren't Babydolls to the seamstress. :hide
Gotta measure their girths & send it to her.
20191122_164156.jpg
20191122_162102.jpg
20191122_164129.jpg

I need to build stormproof salt stations next year. They all went straight to the minerals...
20191122_154255.jpg

5 of the 6 studs
20191122_160011.jpg
20191122_160125.jpg

So, I'll update again once they have proper coats and then in spring.

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm going to try & keep all ewelings by Billy. May sell him this spring or wait until next spring, will depend upon how many half related ewelings are born.

Same with Sebastian and Michaelis. Need to keep ewelings to sell the two rams this spring or next. Need to look over my records again.

Krillin will be kept one or two more season to be crossed to the other spotted/head spot/carrier ewes. He's the project ram to see if his head spotting has anything to do with true spotting or not. But he's also a Kris baby, so he's a very good looking ram with great, dense wool.

Debating selling Apostle, he's just not what's worth breeding for me. Only one ewe was with him who could potentially give spots. Time will tell what happens. If it's an ewe and has good conformation, I'll keep her, any rams will be wethers or dinner. If a spotted ram is born, if it has perfect conformation, I'll keep him.

Oreo's registered name is Chip. "Oreo" is penciled in above, lol, I missed that. So, I'll be updating my posts & website to reflect his registered name.
He'll be kept for at least 2yrs, possibly longer, depends upon how many spotted are born. Hoping other spots are born by the other rams so that I can cross them for diversity.

I must make more paddocks before spring. I think it was two that could be made right by the barn.
I need to redo the horse track system somewhat when I make the paddocks.

Should I move the ewes all out to the big field? Coyotes have come by this year...IDK if they'll try to snag one of the ewe lambs I have...Dog is out there, but still...

Or should I make the paddocks and put the ewes in there only?

I can't leave them out in the big field once they start lambing...

I could wait a couple of weeks & then move all the rams out there, too. Leaving the 7 paddocks bare through spring to recover & grow in grass. The two new paddocks must be made before spring, because then I could move the heavily bred ewes close to the barn into those paddocks & not worry as much about coyotes. Then further move moms & babies to the backyard.

Next biggest problem is...Will the rams all fight for the ewes or will they play nice?

If I wait until December 13th to move the rams back out, then there won't be any overlap of lambing with the groups if any do happen to get bred then. And those very late lambs will be pet or dinner only.

Ugh, sheep farming is so stressful! o_O:barnie

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll be meeting a pair of Australians tomorrow! They're visiting a few Babydoll farms to see, feel & learn more about the breed and what to change & aim for in their version over in Australia.
:)
So nervous.
Tidied up the place today. Then realized that I'll have to round them up before they get here, otherwise, they won't see them! Hah. Over the hill or way out there, avoiding 3 people approaching. Into the backyard they shall go!
Seeing dots, when you've crossed the planet, is disappointing!
20191210_181242.jpg

Latest posts