2024-2025 Market Lamb

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It’s not that we don’t like the extra fluffy legs, it’s the fact that out of the show ring, fluffy, carefully groomed legs are a stupid idea. I’m sure you understand that. In the real world of raising sheep for private sales, auction or consumption, nobody gives a hoot about fluffy legs or all the work that goes into them and we think it’s silly. Then they tack on the fluffy ears and it is even more ridiculous.

It’s just like cattle with black hair sell for more than cattle with red hair, or God forbid, spotted hair. That’s stupid too. The Black Angus folks have done an outstanding job on promoting their breed. Now there is a movement to uplift the RED Angus! Why? Because black cattle get much hotter grazing in a field than red cattle do. The hotter cattle will stop eating to seek out shade. The reality is, hair doesn’t taste very good, no matter what color it is.

Back to your fluffy legs, it is show ring show off. It’s something that teaches kids to work hard at not just body condition, but visual appeal. It’s demanding, time consuming, and instant visual proof that this kid has been working extra hard to achieve those luxurious fluffy legs.

Show is all about the months of training, feeding a precise diet and visual appeal. We are truly on your side, cheering for you and wanting you to win. You have learned so much from showing and it has benefited you greatly.
I agree I don’t like how crazy the leg wool is. I love having it but this year I actually found a lamb that had so much wool you couldn’t see the lamb right. Now the judge didn’t care because it looks great. It kept the judge looking and the lamb placed well.
I wish we could show a lamb with ok leg hair and still do well: but that really isn’t how it works right now.

I get the color thing too. A black face lamb will win before any white face lamb. Just because they are more ‘showy’

Last edited:

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
the color thing too. A black face lamb will win before any white face lamb. Just because they are more ‘showy’
Well it can depend on the judge sometimes but that's not always true. If the whiteface lamb is better than the black face it's probably going to beat it. Black face lambs are just in general usually better than white face lambs but wf's have come a long way over the last few years typically though white face crosses are the only white face lambs that beat black face lambs

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well it can depend on the judge sometimes but that's not always true. If the whiteface lamb is better than the black face it's probably going to beat it. Black face lambs are just in general usually better than white face lambs but wf's have come a long way over the last few years typically though white face crosses are the only white face lambs that beat black face lambs
Also now there's some lambs that are like 7/8 or all blackface but they classify as a white face/wf cross because they have some gene that makes them almost all white. So they're pretty much just a white black face

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here he is! Cosmo

Attachments

• IMG_3526.jpeg
    IMG_3526.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3525.jpeg
    IMG_3525.jpeg
    917.6 KB · Views: 30

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree I don’t like how crazy the leg wool is. I love having it but this year I actually found a lamb that had so much wool you couldn’t see the lamb right. Now the judge didn’t care because it looks great. It kept the judge looking and the lamb placed well.
I wish we could show a lamb with ok leg hair and still do well: but that really isn’t how it works right now.

I get the color thing too. A black face lamb will win before any white face lamb. Just because they are more ‘showy’
It’s “typical show” stuff. Been there, done that with dogs. But I refused to bend my standards and the breed standard to win. Sadly more often than not the best groomed and sculpted dog wins.
It’s two mindsets in the dog world - in a class full of less par dogs and one good dog (odd dog out) the good will typically place behind the less par dogs. And there is the if “this” is good, than 2 or 3 times this is better. Just look at this German Shepherds that walk on their hocks.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He won’t eat. Any solutions? I tried sugar and Dyne on top. He will only nibble on the goats all stock feed. What do yall do to get sheep to eat?

Attachments

• IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    625.1 KB · Views: 22