2024-2025 Sheep Showing

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Should I have a printed copy of the product book at the event? Also, what is involved in the live Product show other than having the lambs and ewe there?

Just spent 2 hours running around to find new pink cowgirl boots, show top, and a purple camping chair. Next to expand the show sheep / maternity pen. Then I get help Cassandra wash and dry three 3 sheep. So glad my new washer is working.:th

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
No pictures during the chaos since my phone was safely inside. 1.5hrs to wash and dry 3 sheep along with drenching 4 humans. I used a pair of dog leashes to cross-tie sheep between these handy trees.
P_20240526_184134.jpg
Cassandra and I washed all 3 then blew dry with assistance from the boys. Alexander was a big help managing leads.
P_20240526_184209.jpg
P_20240526_184805.jpg
The purple whitening shampoo worked really good. Area will be kept bedded with fresh shavings so hopefully they stay cleanish until Friday.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Instead of costly special purple whitening shampoo, you can save money by using laundry bluing. Just make sure you dilute it a LOT before using it in the final rinse. For sheep that have lanolin in their wool, use dishwashing soap designed to cut grease. Another thing you can do once the sheep are washed is put them in stretchy sheep coats. They are called lamb tubes, designed for market lambs and come in different colors. Amazon has them, and YES, THEY COME IN PURPLE. They are larger sizes since they are for market lambs and those Suffolks and market crosses are taller heavier sheep. The sizes are medium - 60 lbs. and large 130 lbs. Since the tubes are stretchy and made of spandex, they would probably fit smaller sheep too.

Lamb Tube for Show Sheep & Lamb - Show Livestock Supplies: Sheep Covers & Blankets (Medium)​

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will look into laundry bluing when this bottle of Weaver Whitening Shampoo runs out. It was a present from GiGi. Per TractorSupply it cost $0.56/oz and I used ~3oz. Most of that was on Coconut who was super stained. First wash was with Main & Tail shampoo to get the loose grime off.

Mrs. Stewarts laundry bluing is $0.77/oz. What sort of dilution ratio are we talking about in the soap canister attached to the spray nozzle: 10:1, 50:1? I seem to recall a story about a blue sheep...

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I seem to recall a story about a blue sheep...
You remember correctly! Just a drop or two per gallon like @farmerjan says. Bright white lambs stand out in the show ring, so people used laundry bluing to make their lambs look whiter. Unfortunately, when DS1 used too much, under the impression if some was good a lot would be better LOL, he had a blue sheep - think Blue from Blue's Clues! Eye catching but in the wrong way. :gig

Before all the nifty hair products we have now, white hair used to turn yellow over time. Elderly ladies back in the day used to use a drop or so in rinse water for their hair so keep it silver instead of yellowy.