3 Little Piggies Coming in 3 days. HELP!

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’m a tad overwhelmed. I’m a tad overwhelmed. Let me take this All in....

We were only going to keep them inside at night. Because we have coyotes. I was not interested in them being out at night

I had planned to get a swimming pool for them to get wet

But we were just going to use regular fencing outside

Now I’m realizing maybe we should think of something else

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
If regular fencing means woven field fencing, that will be fine as long as you put a very hot electric wire at pig snout level all along the inside of their area. Otherwise, they will completely tear up your fencing. Stock panels are sturdier and take longer for the pigs to destroy.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
After about 60lbs or so, coyotes really don't want to take on a group of pigs unless you have some really mean coyotes. The smell of pigs usually turns away just a couple coyotes.

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was gonna just use the fence we used for lambs. Hmmmm. Where do I get electric fence? Wow this is more work then I realized.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everything seems to be covered but I will add on the destruction part. You'd be surprised how fast a lush green lawn can turn into dirt when you turn pigs out onto it. Be very thorough when planning a shelter for them, we made the mistake of buying a $400 outdoor shelter. It consisted of a heavy duty tarp and a strong metal frame, which our pigs looked at and laughed. This frame was staked in a few feet into the ground, which we thought was pig proof. I think they were around six months when they first started ripping the tarp off the edges. They also completely bent up the framing by rubbing up against it, which they do a lot, especially in the summer. I remember how my brother and I arrived at the barn one day to see the shelter had become a sail. The pigs had managed to completely detach the frame from the stakes and we were having some wicked wind so you can imagine how that worked out. We managed to salvage the shelter until the pigs left in the fall and when our next round of pigs arrived we built a much sturdier shelter. Right now we have 14 hogs and it accommodates all of them and they can rub up against the sides to their hearts content. For fencing we had dealt with them digging under the fence which can be quickly fixed with a hotwire. Also make sure you check the perimeter of the hotwire to make sure it is working. Our one sow knows how to short out the wire with a rock or a feed bucket. I wish you best of luck with your new pigs, they are quite fun to raise :) And a lot of times you learn what works for you and your setup.

Our original shelter the first few days after we had built it, this was completely demolished by the time the hogs went to slaughter
IMG_0300.JPG

Our current shelter. Pigs love it especially in the summer heat, can easily accommodate all of them.
IMG_1841.JPG

Last edited:

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow. More great info. Animals. I’ve had some craziness with goats and lambs. I had our Lambs take out our whole chicken coop that my contractor husband made... they knock the entire wall down. How they got through the small chicken door into the coop in the first place is still a mystery.

Can someone leave me to a hot wire? I have no idea even where to get something like this!

We are only keeping our pigs until end of November beginning of December and that’s when they’re supposed to go in for slaughter. Apparently they’ll be about 250 pounds. We could’ve got full Berkshire for the same price but they were a month younger in age.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hog panels and hot wire is the only way to go and fort Knox for inside. Reinforce your plywood with a 4x6 frame. And I would have at least 15 gallons of clean water for them. And the only way to feed is with a gravity feeder they waste tomuch any other way

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the Berkshire crosses better, they grow faster! Though the meat will be a bit leaner.

Hot wire is complicated but it doesn't have to be. An easy way to get started is to walk into a Tractor Supply or farm store and go to the electric fence section and check out what they have for sale.

Basically, you string a metal wire (we use 12 gauge aluminum wire on a roll) through insulators (ceramic or plastic holders) around the perimeter of your fenceline. You will also need a ground rod (at least 3ft is best) to pound into the ground, and an electric charger. We like the solar chargers because you don't have to figure out a way to string electricity from your house or barn box to power them. They now sell all-in-one solar chargers that are basically a box with a solar panel on the top, a battery on the inside to store electricity, a charger that sends out the electrical charge, and two ends on the outside to connect wires to. One of the ends is the ground connection, connect that to your ground rod w/aluminum wire (or a clamp if you get fancy). The other end is the charge connection, connect that to your aluminum wire that is your "hot wire" (we literally just wrap it around).

It's not as complicated as I've made it sound, really. I knew nothing about electricity a few years ago, and now we use electric fencing for our sheep, cattle, pigs, and poultry.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I suggest you buy an inexpensive tester while there to be sure current is running....it doesn't hurt like it does when you touch it with your finger :D Test it every day.

I'm sorry but, must admit that I have been laughing hysterically at the reports we are giving you.....I mean, they are so TRUE but, so very much a happening with everyone who has pigs. :lol: Truly they can be contained if you set it up right from beginning. But, they are so very strong with the short legs & chunky bodies, it's hard to imagine what a brute force they are when right now, all cute & pink & clean!

Mine would come right to me because I always called them to feed with same words. So when I would find them gone, after following the trail, I'd just call & they came happily to me. Following right back to pen, talking to me every step, THEN lifting the 50# panel up like it was a tin can, to go back in to their trough. After all, as far as they were concerned that was why I was there -- to feed them!:he At least I knew where to put another post.
Mine had wooden 3 sided huts (front only partly sided to block wind) and wood floors. They never went potty in their house, went to their designated area in the pen.

Latest posts