3 Little Piggies Coming in 3 days. HELP!

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
109247B2-141D-4E7F-8988-E4AC1FBA3BFF.jpeg
In just a few short hours they did this!

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I guess so. I wish I could convince hubby to build a cage around garden. But not sure how we would get them there and back to pen. It’s quite a distance.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You train them to follow a can rattling with food in it. Then when the time comes, you "lead" them to where you want them to go with that can of treats, would be my guess.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It IS a good idea to rattle the feed can and call them when you go feed. That way if they do get out, they might listen to you and come back. I use a feed bin, so I just refill it when needed, but I do talk to them, maybe they would listen, maybe not.

Come heeeerrrreeeee leetle piggies!
Come baaaack to your pen so I can EAT you!!

We saw a clump of wild piglets in a pasture and backed up to get a better look. When we stopped, they spooked and instead of running straight across the road for the woods, they ran away from us, just over a slight terrace, which hid them from our view, then across the road and into the woods. I marveled that they knew to "hide" on the other side of that slight rise in elevation. Pigs are smart. In that litter of piglets were a few with distinctive Hampshire markings. Somebody's 4-H or FFA project got loose and is contributing better genetics to the local wild crowd!

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That’s funny. I never thought to rattle. I’ll tell the kids. I don’t take care of them. :D =D

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My pig pen is fenced within a pasture fence. So even if they get out for any reason, there is still another fence to hold them. Since they would have a couple of acres to rummage through, I wouldn't expect any problem rounding them back up. My husband wanted me to attach onto the garden fence and onto pasture #2 fence. Nope. Don't even think about attaching to the outside parameter fence. LOL

Right now I have a 500 pound boar in it and he has made no move to root out.

Latest posts