A Jesusfreaks tales of farm life with soon to be Six kids

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok well it's been crazy lol. Eggs have hatched 6-7 chicks total. No baby bunnies yet. And no goat kid. VBS has been fun, right before VBS week start my car decided it need to go in to the shop, I had some lady yell at me for breastfeeding in public uncovered (he Cries when covered and won't nurse), and after the first day of VBS Lucy has lice.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay so much for not getting a dog anytime soon. My sister law is moving and can't take her pup. A
The dog is four months old Australian lab mix. So far does pretty good with live stock she won't go near the birds or rabbits. She only want to be near my kids and goats now how to train her to herd the goats.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this goat in heat or pregnant ahhh!!! I thought buck breed her in may but now she has a cloud clearing discharge along with a mildly swollen vulva....
The doe that's due just a a swollen vulva...

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well spring cleaning in summer is happening. completely emptied the goat house and washed out the floor the best I could. There now fresh hay before any kids are born. I also got the goats some alfalfa before to help. They been getting extra sunflower seeds since I have yet been able to get the selenium supplement but they gotten calf manna, free choice minerals, their copper and of course grain. Hoping these kids work out better then the first. I be separating my buck shortly to his dismay once i am able to throw a divider in their current yard. Or I might build another pen haven't decided yet. But either way he moving.

Attachments

• 1531252583288.jpeg
    1531252583288.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 193

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Next is my house Lucy brought home live again so I am going into full blown freak out mode. So far no else has them. Joshua got a hair cut so he went from long for a boy to nearly a buzz cut. I need a cut so I went ahead and cut it myself as well. There seems to be a never ending supply of work around here lol. I need to pretty much clean the whole house again. So I am hoping to have it done shortly. I need to clean the chicken pen. I need to butcher some birds. And I need to separate the kits from mom they are about to be six weeks old and they are doing awesome. I have five still out of six. I am also slowly freezing extra milk I keep think about what I need to do for Lilly I need to dry her.off soon but I am trying to decuded when to do it since she due in Sept I am just nervous if she goes sooner and I milking her will it hurt her????

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I believe you should dry off ~2 months before due date. You need time for her to develop what's needed for her colostrum, and she needs to be putting energy into kid development vice lactating.