A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That's a really nice view you have there TOR. Bet it's nice when you can take a break and just sit down outside and enjoy it.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, its been 12 months since Jenny's Alzheimer's was diagnosed and as some of you expressed "support" for me in my journey so I thought an update was in-order.Firstly ,the test they run each 3 months to me seems of NO value,as it depends on what frame of mind she is in on the day and how much help they give her with the answers.3 months ago they reduced the strength of her meds to reduce the side-effects.Physically she is down about 25% over the period but still insists on completing a job once she starts it,but it "knocks" her about the next day.A hard thing to deal with is her perception that everything on TV is just a repeat of the day before(I have got to the stage now where I just agree),she has become very sensitive to sounds and it always "scolding me" for banging things around.Her short term memory is completely gone at this point and the distance from the kitchen to the laundry is not achievable in remembering why she was going there.The mood swings have increased and I only have some sort of a clue as to what the day will be like is if she "wakes up" and smiles or just gives me a "hard look".A week or so ago she went for 10 days without a "meltdown" (it was heaven for me while it lasted).There is a local support group for carers but I have not been able to go as I'm sure she thinks it is some sort of exercise to put her into care.Our GP is a little concerned about my health as I deal with the situation on a day to day basis.But for me as long as I have the Internet,the sheep and my dogs I think I will be OK...T.O.R.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry once again. It's terrible to watch and must be even worse as a sole supporter with no real long term help.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Dear Old Ram, is there any family that could stay with Jenny for a day or two to give you a break? I cared for my Mother, Aunt, and Father as a caregiver. I am an only child. It is so hard for one person to handle. Thank goodness, I had my daughters who are in their twenties to help me sometimes.

I watched a friend's grandfather deal with the same thing with his wife. It was so hard for him.

Please take care of yourself too! My prayers are for you and Jenny.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day and thank for your messages of support both on and off BYH. The problem is the stage that she is at which is complete denial as the severity of the disease.I do have support from both my daughters but as for getting away it is not an option at this time,but I find that the farm work (about 3/4 hours in the morning works well),plus I have the stuff on the Internet and of course my other family which is yourselves and we have a support lady from Alzheimer Aust and a phone support service if required.But all things considered I am coping pretty well I think..T.O.R.