A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You might be a farmer
• If you refer to land using the names of the farmers who owned them a generation ago.
You might be a farmer
• And finally, if you won $1,000,000 from the lottery your life would not change that much. You’d keep right on farming, maybe with newer equipment and more land, but you’d keep farming because that is who you are and what yo
These were the two that brought me to tears. Blame it on the hormones but :hit

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really enjoyed the article and very nice photo of you and Jenny. My admiration for your contributing to the overall good of farming in general and the sheep in particular with your healthy practices.

The pictures of the new rams are very similar to the type heads we have on our white Texas Dall sheep. Those nice horns are the ones that we have to measure and the hunting preserves pay good money for the ones that reach certain "scores". It is hard to keep a good head intact as the rams get into the "rutting season" in the fall and have to go head to head.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The pictures of the new rams are very similar to the type heads we have on our white Texas Dall sheep. Those nice horns are the ones that we have to measure and the hunting preserves pay good money for the ones that reach certain "scores". It is hard to keep a good head intact as the rams get into the "rutting season" in the fall and have to go head to head.....
Do y'all have any big horn sales in your area?

I've been wanting just to attend one of these sales, but since I'm in the middle of moving and it is 4 hours away, don't think so this time. Texas Dahl seem to do good at this sale. What size horns do y'all sell to the hunting clubs?

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Ridge, there are two factors that assist a profit from your farm, market selection and cost of production.

We even at our scale cannot compete with the "big runs" with over a 1000 breeder units, so we don't even try. We selected and researched a market that others did now know or care about with the result as time goes by customers will hear about and search us out, why? Because we will sell a product which reflects the sheep from their homeland with the "taste " to match....T.O.R.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks ,in an interesting move this week a successful Merino sheep stud is selling all their merino wool sheep of 10.000 breeders and going into Meat goats .They have "exclusion fenced" 140,000 acs to get rid of Pigs ,dingo's ,foxes and any other non productive species .If you search "exclusion fencing in Australia" ,I am sure you will get some idea of the cost of this exercise. Their long tern aim is 20,000 breeding goats on the farm. The COP is a fraction of the sheep operation with an almost 80% increase in "turnoff" . The rationale behind the move is that wool production is no longer profitable on the landscape they own. Makes you think doesn't it ?..T.O.R.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Exclusion fencing. Haven’t looked it up yet, but I bet it’s the same as high wire fencing or game fencing, in Texas. It keeps all the exotic animals IN and coyotes and hogs, etc. OUT. Game fencing is priced by the mile, it ain’t cheap!

10,000 breeders. I can’t even begin to comprehend. Shearing 10,000 sheep! Boggles the mind.

YOU saw the writing on the wall and are way ahead of the game. When I decided on sheep, I studied hair versus wool and hair sheep won.