a PIG NEWBIE with questions please!

Girl43

Just born
Reaction score
Hi. Just linked into this site. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I am about to become a pig owner on 8 June and I have a couple of questions. The first is about pig containment. We have chosen a beautiful spot on our land and today we used page-wire to enclose it. This is to keep the coyotes out. We are going to use electric to keep said piggy in. The piglet is going to be two months old. I read 6 inches from bottom of fencing for the electric and 6 inches above that as well. Will this do the trick?

What I really also would like to know is how to train a pig to the fence. I don't want her fried (yet). Is this trial and error for her? We are going to tie wood ribbon for visual aids. Are there any other things I should be doing.

Thanks for reading and for advice.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had pigs but didn't use electric fencing so I can't comment on that. My concern would be that it sounds like you're only getting one pig? One pig is a lonely pig and would be more apt to try and escape... Just my opinion and certainly not the only way to do things.

Hope it goes well for you.

Latest posts