? about Haflingers

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm so glad you guys double checked that leg and found someone knowledgeable enough to help you make a sound decision. As for the training part, I really think it depends on the horse. I've seen horses that really took minimal effort and horses which were hard even for experienced horse people. I do think it is a good idea for you guys to spend some time learning how to handle draft horses. I know the size and power they have can be intimidating even for long time horse people so working with the larger horses should give you more than enough confidence when handling a Halfinger sized one and I know from experience putting a harness on the first few times is no easy feat! Just wait till you need to assemble one after disassembling it for cleaning. :ep

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Warning if you start working with a full size draft, you will fall in love. You will want one. They are big, but they are gentle giants. I have two currently and had two others prior. You have a great oppurtunity to work with someone who knows what they are doing. Help out as much as you can. You will learn so much.

I always tell people, until you feed a horse, groom a horse, clean up after a horse and spend time with a horse, you don't know the horse. Congrats. Hope it all works out for you.

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck in finding a good sound, working horse! (And I secretly hope you get a gypsy too, then you will post pics!) (LOL, that is selfish of me! :lol:)

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh, I secretly hope that someday we (or I) will get a Gypsy too! It doesn't seem to be a likely event soon, on account of everyone we've emailed not responding (or being a scammer). But someday... They are probably the most beautiful horse breed I've ever seen!