Alaskan's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am in Alaska...yeah, like my name, but at the bottom of the Kenai Peninsula, close to Homer, the "banana belt" of Alaska (not to be confused with the rainforest of Alaska, which is warmer).

Latitude 59!

I get lots of strong wind gusts, and high humidity since I am on the coast. That toasty water from Japan keeps the temps moderate...cool in summer and warm (relatively) in the winter.

I am married, with 5 kids, all boys. Eldest is 18, almost 19, and youngest just turned 9. Eldest is going to the local community college, so still at home. All kids are/were honeschooled.

We have chickens (a bunch of coops and breeds, bantam and standard), ducks (only muscovy), and 3 milk goats (Mocha, Feta, and Mozzie).

Mozzie is a Saanan x Nigerian DwarF

Mocha is 3/4 Nubian and 1/4 Boar

Feta is full Saanan

I built the duck coop and bantam coop myself.

I am 7th generation Texan, 6th generation rancher ...my sister has the home place. I moved to Alaska to get away from the crowds.

I studied ranching in college, bachelor's and masters.

But what I do now is just to give the kids chores, and have good wholesome food for them to eat.

OK... there where a bunch more questions on that list...but now I am pooped!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, my goodness!!....it is about dad-blame Time....popping in and out on others like ya been.....:gig.....a "How-ya-Do" that only a southern could love and understand.....:)
We spent a couple of yrs in Adak, so not totally unfamiliar with the landscape....tho, I was really young when we were there. Really glad that ya started a journal and will look forward to the developements there....keep an eye out for the volcanos!!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can see several, but only one in the area is active.

:D

It has only had one big eruption since we have lived here. A thin layer of ash...but that was it. It is far enough away that lava should never be an issue.

We do get lots of earthquakes though.

I know a couple of people that lived on Adak.... :lol: not a highly populated island.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad to see an AK journal here. :D Now, you just need to start sharing some of those pics like you've done over on BYC... Beautiful area you live in. :love

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
pictures huh? I need to take some recent ones...

We are starting to do fall clean-up. Getting all of the outside junk put away and cleaned up. We are STILL having trouble with the goats getting into the duck pen and eating their feed...yeah, yeah...but the goats haven't died yet (or shown any sign of bloat). We keep thinking we have it fixed up enough...then they get in again. :hu

pictures :

From this past spring, looking up from the front door. dog and two bucklings.
20170325_153758.jpg

my 3 does in the barn
20170804_203000-1.jpg

Last edited: