Alfalfa pellets??

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would like to know from those who feed Alfalfa pellets the correct amount to feed sheep (per head)....can I supplement half their hay ration with the pellets and could I even use ONLY the pellets for their daily feeding? Thanks, Rusty

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:/.....ummmm.....I guess no one uses Alfalfa pellets......(????) Anyone????:/:/ Any advice would help......

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Feed bag should give amount to feed instructions, I checked into using them once, What I learned kept me from using them, When the pellets are made and put the the process it looses so much of the protien value during the process that you would end up feeding double the amount of feed by LBS, verses using alfalfa hay, so lb to lb hay was cheaper and protien level higher. Hope this helps..........

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks......I'll continue with my hay....good advice! I tried some alfalfa cubes and they snubbed their noses at them..... We should be having lambs in another couple of weeks. Thanks again Shelly

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lambs, we love lambs good luck with lambing and it is a must to post pictures of babies as they arrive........

currycomb1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
we use the pellets for goats and mini horses, because hay was impossible to find. use the guidelines on the bags

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use them for goats, but just as a supplement mixed into grain, when trying to reduce the actual grain, but still allow enough food to keep my girls busy while I milk.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed sheep pellets and/or grains when mine are near due. They ignore the hay cubes, horses love them, rabbits started eating them, but the sheep think they are rocks and walk away.

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks everyone....great advice. And I will post some photos of the Scottish Blackface lambs when they arrive....expecting around 30 or so to be born. Think Spring!!!!

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My goats and sheep all get a couple cups of Standlee Timothy/Alfalfa pellets (not cubes which they might choke on)
mixed with their grain or "all stock" pellets.

They waste so much of the natural alfalfa hay...but they eat every pellet so I'm thinking the pellets get more nutrition into their bodies.

Well, that's what I hope anyway!