All about cows

Flock Master64

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Too many unknown factors missing to properly address your questions.
#1 being no one has a clue which continent, nation, state or which region you are located in. It matters..a LOT.
For instance..
Here, I realistically need 2 1/2 acres per animal unit. That is, a cow with a calf by her side or a lactating cow and that only holds true if there is normal rainfall for good forage.
I recently visited a cousin out in the arid Trans Pecos region of Texas and he needs 42 acres per cow/calf pair.

You will of course, have to breed the animal(s) in order for them to start giving you some milk. That means a bull or AI.
A bull won't like staying home after he has bred the few females on 11 acres..meaning some really great fences will be needed or you rent, borrow a bull or go AI.
Cows are not like goats..they don't much care if it's raining or not, and will only go into shelter if it is very cold, wet and windy. They come with a leather coat right out of the box.

i live in the midwestern area of the United States.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, since @Baymule put me in there.... I have to agree with @greybeard also...knowing the general area will help with some of your questions. The midwestern area is pretty vague, and no we are not asking for your street address. Northern states if the midwestern part of the US are cold, have different needs than the more southern states in the "mid western" part. I'm in Va, the western part. We are well suited to beef and or dairy. There is ample grazing, normally a decent rainfall to make good crops, even if it is only hay but there are a fair number of row crops like corn, soybeans etc..

We figure 1-2 acres per cow calf pair in a normal year, or about 1 1/2 acres per animal to get a fair amount of grazing. That will not supply all the animals needs but will help to keep it healthy and happy. Sectioning it off into "lots" of some sort will allow you to rotate the animal(s) and get more grazing and keep the grass fresh.

Cattle are not pets, yes they can be very good companions, but always remember they are animals, and BIGGER than you type of animals. You can get as attached as any girl ever got to her dream horse.

All that said, cattle prefer to at least have 1 buddy of the same category, namely a cow likes a cow for a buddy. They are herd animals. Prefer their own type to "herd" with.

For some real good down to earth advice for beginners, get the Storey publication about raising a calf, or raising a beef animal or one on milk cows. The are often available through TSC or any book store or the library. It is great that you want to try to learn as much as possible before you tackle the project. There are numerous monthly magazines pertaining to homesteaders and small farm animal ownership.

If you are interested in dairy, to milk for yourself, then Jerseys are a good smaller breed. There are miniature breeds but they are often very pricey. You could get a guernsey although they are a bit bigger, but they have a creamier, yellowish tint to their milk and butterfat due to increased beta-carotene in the milk. You can use a dairy cow strictly for milking; which means YOU HAVE TO BE THERE EVERY DAY....or as a nurse cow that will feed calves and then you separate them for 12 hours when you want milk the next day... There are tons of things to consider.
Yes wanting milk also means breeding and having a calf to induce lactation....and bull calves are good as a steer for the freezer.

Really, get a book and do some reading then decide what type of bovine you want. 11 acres is more than enough for grazing, but you will have to buy hay for winter, if you are where there is much cold and grass doesn't grow.
Talk to your county agriculture dept., extension agent, go to the local feed store. Talk to a neighbor that has cattle, get involved in 4-H or the FFA...they are always looking for volunteers and you can learn alot.

Flock Master64

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay, since @Baymule put me in there.... I have to agree with @greybeard also...knowing the general area will help with some of your questions. The midwestern area is pretty vague, and no we are not asking for your street address. Northern states if the midwestern part of the US are cold, have different needs than the more southern states in the "mid western" part. I'm in Va, the western part. We are well suited to beef and or dairy. There is ample grazing, normally a decent rainfall to make good crops, even if it is only hay but there are a fair number of row crops like corn, soybeans etc..

We figure 1-2 acres per cow calf pair in a normal year, or about 1 1/2 acres per animal to get a fair amount of grazing. That will not supply all the animals needs but will help to keep it healthy and happy. Sectioning it off into "lots" of some sort will allow you to rotate the animal(s) and get more grazing and keep the grass fresh.

Cattle are not pets, yes they can be very good companions, but always remember they are animals, and BIGGER than you type of animals. You can get as attached as any girl ever got to her dream horse.

All that said, cattle prefer to at least have 1 buddy of the same category, namely a cow likes a cow for a buddy. They are herd animals. Prefer their own type to "herd" with.

For some real good down to earth advice for beginners, get the Storey publication about raising a calf, or raising a beef animal or one on milk cows. The are often available through TSC or any book store or the library. It is great that you want to try to learn as much as possible before you tackle the project. There are numerous monthly magazines pertaining to homesteaders and small farm animal ownership.

If you are interested in dairy, to milk for yourself, then Jerseys are a good smaller breed. There are miniature breeds but they are often very pricey. You could get a guernsey although they are a bit bigger, but they have a creamier, yellowish tint to their milk and butterfat due to increased beta-carotene in the milk. You can use a dairy cow strictly for milking; which means YOU HAVE TO BE THERE EVERY DAY....or as a nurse cow that will feed calves and then you separate them for 12 hours when you want milk the next day... There are tons of things to consider.
Yes wanting milk also means breeding and having a calf to induce lactation....and bull calves are good as a steer for the freezer.

Really, get a book and do some reading then decide what type of bovine you want. 11 acres is more than enough for grazing, but you will have to buy hay for winter, if you are where there is much cold and grass doesn't grow.
Talk to your county agriculture dept., extension agent, go to the local feed store. Talk to a neighbor that has cattle, get involved in 4-H or the FFA...they are always looking for volunteers and you can learn alot.

Wow thanks!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can I ask how old you are? Like teenager, or 20-40 or retired age? Will you be doing all the work or will someone else be a "partner" like a spouse or brother/sister, to share the chores? I get the feeling since you "connected" with micah, that you are younger rather than near the age of alot of us "mature" adults...LOL. But things like that do need to also be considered in the scheme of things and what type of animal you can reasonably deal/work with.

Flock Master64

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am a teenager and I'll probably be taking care of them by myself.

.... :( Lonely Jake

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you are going to get cattle I would suggest at least 4 total 3 heifers and a bull if you want calves to sell. Now bear in mind I am still in "Remedial Cow" as far as experience goes, but there is a ton of good information out there that you can learn from. Also as a first time cow owner you will want to become good friends with a large animal vet. This will prove invaluable for you when something goes sideways, and with cows it will happen. Believe me I have seen it happen on the farm where I work.(See my post on bottle calf). The vet will have very good information on what medications to use if you are going to doctor your cows yourself. Also that brings up several other things that you will need. Catch pens, a chute with a head gate for starters. Owning cattle requires careful planning and making sure that you have everything in place before you bring home your first one.

But here is some of what I know for cows; In Missouri, figure about 1-2 acres per cow/calf pair. That being said I am on a farm that has 120 head of cattle and 4 bulls. They are on about 361 acres. We also use some of that acreage to make hay as well.

Again with your 11 acres 3 heifers and a bull-might want to have a steer in there to keep the bull company- would be more than enough The best way I would suggest with that would be to Section off what you are going to use for grazing in such a way that you can keep at least one-two portions between the heifers and the bull.

Next thing to consider would be what kind of cattle you would want. Dairy cows; well consider yourself married to the farm, as you have to milk the cows twice a day every day. In this case I would suggest maybe looking into the Dexter cows. they are quite small and easy to work with. Most Dexter bulls I have discovered are about 4' at the shoulder. Beef Cattle are a close second in what I would suggest.

As Farmerjan as said cows are not pets. I consider my self very lucky that my oldest bottle calf is very respectful of me. Then again I have been working with him since he was 11 days old. He sees me as momma, but also knows that I will not put up with certain things. Bottle calves are cute, but they are tons of work that a first time cattle owner should not get involved with unless they have people that can help them out with what to do. I speak from experience on this

Hope this wall o text helps

Flock Master64

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you are going to get cattle I would suggest at least 4 total 3 heifers and a bull if you want calves to sell. Now bear in mind I am still in "Remedial Cow" as far as experience goes, but there is a ton of good information out there that you can learn from. Also as a first time cow owner you will want to become good friends with a large animal vet. This will prove invaluable for you when something goes sideways, and with cows it will happen. Believe me I have seen it happen on the farm where I work.(See my post on bottle calf). The vet will have very good information on what medications to use if you are going to doctor your cows yourself. Also that brings up several other things that you will need. Catch pens, a chute with a head gate for starters. Owning cattle requires careful planning and making sure that you have everything in place before you bring home your first one.

But here is some of what I know for cows; In Missouri, figure about 1-2 acres per cow/calf pair. That being said I am on a farm that has 120 head of cattle and 4 bulls. They are on about 361 acres. We also use some of that acreage to make hay as well.

Again with your 11 acres 3 heifers and a bull-might want to have a steer in there to keep the bull company- would be more than enough The best way I would suggest with that would be to Section off what you are going to use for grazing in such a way that you can keep at least one-two portions between the heifers and the bull.

Next thing to consider would be what kind of cattle you would want. Dairy cows; well consider yourself married to the farm, as you have to milk the cows twice a day every day. In this case I would suggest maybe looking into the Dexter cows. they are quite small and easy to work with. Most Dexter bulls I have discovered are about 4' at the shoulder. Beef Cattle are a close second in what I would suggest.

As Farmerjan as said cows are not pets. I consider my self very lucky that my oldest bottle calf is very respectful of me. Then again I have been working with him since he was 11 days old. He sees me as momma, but also knows that I will not put up with certain things. Bottle calves are cute, but they are tons of work that a first time cattle owner should not get involved with unless they have people that can help them out with what to do. I speak from experience on this

Hope this wall o text helps

wow thanks a lot. That all really helps.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Keeping a bull for only 2 or 3 cows and possibly a steer will not be of the best path to a profit. Feed and operating costs as well as your labor will be way too much. Use AI , it will be much cheaper and you will have a much more higher quality calves to keep or sell .

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
While AI would be a good idea, I have to ask how much does it cost to get started with that? In the start having a bull and steer to keep the bull company might be better, but again I am still learning. Yet you would only keep the bull for say 2yrs then get a new one if you keep the heifers from those you breed in the first place.