Alpaca Line

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a couple of Alpaca females that I could breed. I am new to this and totally overwhelmed by all the different lines. Everybody claims their Alpacas are from a "great" line (Sire blabla, Dam blabla) How do I figure this out? Is there a list somewhere that tells me which Sires and Dams are really good? If I fork out a good sum of monney I would at least like to know the line is really great. Does anyone know how to get through this jungle? :idunno
(located in western AZ)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would start looking at places like AlpacaNation. See what names pop up frequently. Snowmass is considered a good name. Magical Farms is considered a good name. I can't think of the other farms at the moment that would be out west. I have been in alpacas for 14 years but in the last couple of years have not kept up with the "in" bloodlines. If you can find a breeder who will be honest with you and go through what a good alpaca is, that would be really good.

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I would start looking at places like AlpacaNation. See what names pop up frequently. Snowmass is considered a good name. Magical Farms is considered a good name. I can't think of the other farms at the moment that would be out west. I have been in alpacas for 14 years but in the last couple of years have not kept up with the "in" bloodlines. If you can find a breeder who will be honest with you and go through what a good alpaca is, that would be really good.
Thanks Karen,
I arranged to go visit an alpaca breeder in a couple of weeks to have a chat. I was there before and kinda trust him (although no more than a gut feeling). I'll ask him. He has a Poseidon son. After doing some research looks like that is a good line. Don't know about his females. He does not really advertise the bloodlines but knows what he has. He showed me how to look at the fiber even though I was not going to buy an alpaca at the time.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Good. Usually your gut feeling is right. Also wouldn't hurt to find some other breeders in your area just to figure out who to weed out and who to go to. Always good to buy local if you can. Then you get the support you need when starting out. Good luck with your search. :D

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Good. Usually your gut feeling is right. Also wouldn't hurt to find some other breeders in your area just to figure out who to weed out and who to go to. Always good to buy local if you can. Then you get the support you need when starting out. Good luck with your search. :D
"local" in this case is a 5 hr trip to southern AZ :rolleyes:. There are other farms "more local" though. I'll be doing a lot of travelling and talking in the near future ;).

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Well, that is good. At least not everyone is that far! I'm in Ohio and we have alpaca farms everywhere so I forget that other states don't have as many alpaca farms around. :D

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
5 hr trip to southern AZ :rolleyes
Heck of a bit closer than me in Alaska going to Or to get pacas like I did for my first ones, and then flying them to AK only to drive another 7 hrs to get them home :D I hope all goes well I love ours :D

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Karen (or somebody else), I have a new question :D. I have the oportunity to buy a female with a really good bloodlines. But her grandsire is the same alpaca as my studs sire. Can I still breed them or is this one connection too close?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It depends on how you feel. I know some people wouldn't breed them and others would. I liked to see a 3 generation difference when I bred my alpacas but there were some that did line breeding. So I guess whatever you feel comfortable with.

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
It depends on how you feel. I know some people wouldn't breed them and others would. I liked to see a 3 generation difference when I bred my alpacas but there were some that did line breeding. So I guess whatever you feel comfortable with.
Thanks Karen! I think I will do a little more research first. But she is great! The common alpaca in question is Peruvian Don Julio's Lariat.

Latest posts