angora rabbits

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm pretty positive it's a doe and buck but the buck hasn't gotten his balls yet and he's already 6 months and the doe is 8 months.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
thanks for the tips I'll try some of them.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK - remember that rabbits have their testicles placed in front of their penis instead of behind the penis like other species.. They will be 2 small sacs in front of the penis on the abdomen.

Years ago dh and I sold several young trios of NZW rabbits t the FFA at the high school to get them started with some high quality breeding stock. A month later I got a call from one of the students that their buck had some sort of tumor and could I come take a look at it. The "tumor" turned out to be the testicles. Because they are situated in front of the penis instead of behind it the students had not recognized the scrotum. They thought it was a tumor.

Check your buck and see if his testicles are there - Angoras have a lot of coat so it may be hidden. Then check to make sure that it isn't a female. You know how to sex rabbits, right? The female has a paper clip shaped opening. The male will have a tube that will pop out when you put pressure on his opening.

Depending on how young your bunnies were when you got them, the breeder might have mistakenly sold you 2 does. The penis on a buck is not always readily apparent under 8-10 weeks.

At 8 months the doe is definitely ready to breed and the buck at 6 months is probably ready. Young bucks can sometimes take longer to get the idea if the doe is aggressive. Some does when ready to breed will chase the buck and try to mount him. That can scare a timid young buck. Also, if the buck has the idea but the wrong end of the doe just gently remove him and reposition him. Sometimes if the doe is too jumpy or aggressive you might have to hold her in place for the inexperienced buck to mount.

Good Luck.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yes, the doe is aggressive thanks for explaining it more!

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
now I'm confused I was looking at how to sex your rabbits and I think it might be a doe instead of a buck I'll take some pictures and ask what you think.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds good. We'll try to help with that. In the winter the testicles should be apparent. They are not huge, dangles like other species.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you have 2 does?

OK when you get a buck you are all set! Does the breeder have any bucks available?

BYW, the whole "I feel like a male today so I am one" thing doesn't work in the animal kingdom. LOL

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
the breeder I got them from is letting me bring them for an overnight breeding I'm breeding my white doe angle to a chocolate buck and my chocolate doe to a fawn buck so we'll see what the colors of the kits come out as any ideas what colors they might be?

Latest posts