Any drop spindle tips?

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Looky at what I got as an early birthday gift!
b9d4c0ade642dbd4ddbd40b2d61f36b1_zps0dfed253.jpg

This will be my first go at it. Got any tips.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
SOOOOOO HARD.....mainly I have issues keeping the gauge the same and you know...knot letting it be the size of rope!

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I bought one several years ago and I never did get it (or me!) to work....:(

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ohhh looks tough! I've never tried one, but I have a spinning wheel. It took me a while to get that, but once I got it, I got it! Keep practicing is all I can tell you. Have fun!

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Does it have a notch on the top or a hook? I ended up putting a tea cup hook on the end of mine and had much better luck. Also, prep your roving before you spin so that it's the thickness you want:)

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
It has an itty bitty hook.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes when you try! I just got myself a bottom whorl drop spindle (spins slower, makes thicker yarn), but haven't given it a spin ;) :p

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok...TIP: Run away!!! Run away!!!! :weee

Seriously...I am completely incompetant where hand spindles are concerned! I've watched a ton of youtube videos and they've done NOTHING for me! I'd love to be able to figure them out but I get all mixed up! (Spinning wheel is my choice...) You are TALENTED for having a go at it and I beg you to share YOUR tips!

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Itty bitty hook and light weight spindle should make for a light weight yarn--you're looking good to go! :pop I bought a very cheap, heavy spindle--it's harder to make a fine yarn unless you have a really long staple, as it breaks more easily.

I learn best by diagram, which is fairly unusual. Most people seem to prefer to have someone show them, or video. Try it all! And if you're already a wheel spinner, don't keep comparing it, just treat the spindle as a different experience.:old (We need an old lady nag--I'm sorta old, but don't have a beard. Yet)