Anyone know about "highland " beef cows

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Two it is than When you breed with a bull which seems to have dominate gene pool Bull or cow like if i wanted more of a angus meat but the grazing and mood of a highland, should the cow be highland or angus?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you end up with the cow with bull calf, what will you do with the bull calf? Sell him or steer him? You'll not want him to breed back his mama, and speaking from recent experience, he can hurt himself trying to mount a cow at a young age (so even if he can't physically breed, he'll want to try).

:)

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi sorry for the late post I been very busy getting ready for my cows finding fencing making pens for meat birds. Ok my plan was get a cow with calf (female) and hopfully she is breed depending on which will domanate the meat) process the cow after she has the calf and it is off of her, than get the a bull calf and use him to breed my cow I want lean but tasty meat so i was looking at highland belted galloway and cross them with angus or maybe a herdferd If I find a angus I think I would rather the cow be the Angus and the bull be the galoway or highland but not sure I would never breed back I will replace bull when i only have his off spring so I looking at really keeping 3 cows and rotate the bull and mothers

bethinoklahoma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
love the storys about the kids in the barn.
We are also trying to bring back some "old ways" to the
family. Kids have their outside work to do and some inside.
Wish I would have thought about that trick with the seats
for them on the tractor......

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was going to get another young bull to breed my cow young only because I want my son to handle him while he is young I was thinking a galloway or highland bull and maybe a angus cow that is bred if she has a bull I will steer him if it a heifer I'll breed her thank you for your reply

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
crzychicken said:
I was going to get another young bull to breed my cow young only because I want my son to handle him while he is young I was thinking a galloway or highland bull and maybe a angus cow that is bred if she has a bull I will steer him if it a heifer I'll breed her thank you for your reply
How old is your son? Keep in mind calves grow very quickly. My bull calf is only 8.5 months old and is nearly too much for me, a full grown, non-weakling woman, to handle. Also keep in mind it's never a good idea to make a pet of a bull calf. They need to be taught at a very early age that they are NOT the boss. If you can supervise your son or feel confident your son is mature enough to handle the responsiblity and keep himself safe ALWAYS, then you might be ok. It's a risk, though.

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He's 12 maybe artificial is the way to go I would be the one handleing them the most

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
LOL, you took the words right out of my mouth. I even went back, to see if I missed something. Maybe it's just us? :idunno