Anyone Work at Processors?

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey folks, a quick question. Anyone here work at a deer processors or have you in the past? I'm in the process of working with a new place here closer to home and I want to start picking up hides to tan from them this year. He told me that getting them to not hack the hides up would be the fun part. So I said I'd offer them a few bucks per real nice skinned hide to encourage them to do a good job and put a bit extra in their pockets. I'm thinking between $2 - $5 depending on how good the hide comes out - amount of cuts, amount of meat left on, etc. That way we are helping one another out, which will save my back and enable me to take a lot more hides in to tan and put to good use instead of being waste products.

If you were processing, does this sound like a fair deal? I may be willing to offer more later if I can move the hides decently once tanned. I'm hoping to have two booths set up and eventually a craft show where I will sell at.

Any input greatly appreciated.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@farmerjan - Indeed, it's just a range so that if one is not the greatest they'll still get something but that way they can get $5 each on the good ones. And if they start to move well at booths/etsy/craft sales then I'll bump it up for us helping one another out. Considering they got close to 1k deer last season, I know it will be hard but it will also enable me to clean out their bins for them.

@Mini Horses - Not close by, I'm actually going to have to drive close to 30 min just to get these hides. We have a meat processor closer but they have someone picking up deer already and it sounded like they wouldn't budge from that even though I think they're paying THEM to take them.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m following this page because I’m interested in the responses. I hope they work with you!

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks folks. Our bow season will most likely open in October so I will touch base with them closer to the time. I am waiting for the state to release our game seasons and bag limit details. Generally mid October to mid February I think is our range - from what I remember, when Alabama had to restock their deer years ago, the seasons are later that most of the country and have a wide range due to the way the deer settled here and the ranges they came from.

I'm hoping to actually video some of this process (not the processors, but explain in the videos how it goes) along with showing bits of the setup in hopes to encourage others to get involved and help reduce waste like this. What started as my husband's hobby turned into something really enjoyable for me!

We plan to have two fleshing stations with duel equipment so either my husband and I - or - my mother-in-law and I can work on it (if I can convince her to join, she says it wouldn't bother her!) I have one setup but I will try and work with my husband so he can build another Poplar fleshing beam for us. I saw the layout for a log one at the Fort Toulouse (if I spelled that right) Frontier Days in Wetumpka, AL years ago and took a photo of it and we used that as a plan ever since. I'll be getting three or four big sturdy plastic trash cans for the hides to process, tan, dehair, etc. - I am stocked on Aluminum Sulfate and Salt via the local feed store from last year. I have lye for dehairing still. My husband is going to build me a smoker to hang the hides in to preserve them with the "true tan"

I'll make a list of some of the things we get and use later on for anyone interested.

This will be the first year I've actually offered to compensate for good skinning, I usually just take what I can get but to help reduce waste I hope they'll consider using careful cuts.