Attempt at banding

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I banded a Boer buckling a few months ago. Thought I had done a good job.
His little package came off and I thought great.
Well, it seems what actually happened is the contents of his little bag wound up above the band. Now I have a buckling that has no scrotum but I can see a lump up inside of him. He also goes around trying to breed any goat that stands still.
I am guessing that he cannot impregnate anyone as his semen is probably too warm and killed off.
In a horse you would call this proud cut.
Lesson learned.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We learned to band at the OSU Goat boot camp in Ada, Oklahoma. You stand behind the goat, grab by rear legs and stand him up with his package in front of the person doing the banding. This is a 2 person job, by the way. Pull down the package with both balls in your hand so you get the feel of them, then slip the band on with the other hand. Make sure you can feel both of them before you slip the band off the tool and onto the skin. Spray with iodine or beta dine. I've never had a problem.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did the exact same thing with my wether Katahdin. I've got his little shriveled up bag on my front entry table, and he's got two enormous lumps inside him. He mounts everything and fights with the ram. The thing is... one of my ewes is now pregnant, and I think it might be from him. Not 100% yet, but I'd be cautious assuming he is sterile.

I did two goats a few months later, and they are looking really good, no lumps and are acting really docile.

DonnaBelle, what age do you do them? We did the ram lamb at 7 days and the goats at 2 weeks and everyone did fine, but the ram lamb the little peas were very small and hard to find. I've heard some people say you have to do it by 5 days, but others say to wait longer.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We banded this year for the first time. I always thought it was cruel in that it prolonged their discomfort. After talking to several people who said it only bothered them a short while we tried it. Didn't have any problems. One never even acted like it bothered him. The other kind of moped and whined a little bit for about an hour. In a couple of hours it never even seemed an issue with either of them.

LeviS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My first year that I kept goats, I cut all the bucks, and it really wasn't an experience I wanted to repeat...so I tried banding. I tried doing a couple myself and it went pretty good but it was far easier with another person. We would sit the goat down on his butt and one person would grab two legs with each hand and hold him while the other did the banding. Worked really well, after an hour or so or stomping/laying down, they seemed to completely forget about it.