Automatic Goat door or Doggy door (FINISHED)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel like you'll have to go all out on seriously hot fencing either the whole acre or a smaller yard where they can get fresh air and exercise.

Is your area dry/lacking lots of lush weeds growing along fencing? Not needing regular mowing.
If so, you can put hot wires down low, then offset over the ground as well. That'll stop digging.

Using woven goat fencing with electric on both sides to keep goats from laying within arms reach of the fence and stopping climbing by predators.

Lastly, add extra height to get to 10+ feet, in 4in spaced hot wire all the way up.
solar-fencing-500x500.pngelectric-fence-250x250.jpgelectric-fencing-500x500.jpgelectric-fences-500x500.jpg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel like you'll have to go all out on seriously hot fencing either the whole acre or a smaller yard where they can get fresh air and exercise.

Is your area dry/lacking lots of lush weeds growing along fencing? Not needing regular mowing.
If so, you can put hot wires down low, then offset over the ground as well. That'll stop digging.

Using woven goat fencing with electric on both sides to keep goats from laying within arms reach of the fence and stopping climbing by predators.

Lastly, add extra height to get to 10+ feet, in 4in spaced hot wire all the way up.
View attachment 81186View attachment 81187View attachment 81188View attachment 81189
Crazy..

But I agree, probably do need something that intense.

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I finished building the goat shelter. I still have to add chain-link dog run behind it for more space & a working alley behind it and on the side. I plant to make temp kidding pens in the front of it
1. Would it be okay to keep a buck with the does 24/7? Will it be unsafe being all together during the night?
2. How do I get them to try the treats?
3. Will they want to go to sleep by themselves?

I do plan to build a locking mechanism for the door & adding electric wire around the actual run/ house.

Any suggestions.
I do have a cell game cam so I can check on them very couple hours & alerts me of any movement outside of the ehouse

IMG-0329.jpg

IMG-0328.jpg
IMG-0325.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-0328.jpg
    IMG-0328.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are the dimensions?

I would worry about having the buck in there 24/7... I like large areas so individuals can get away from each other.... but then I have never owned a buck.

What treats are you talking about?

3. Will they want to go to sleep by themselves?
You mean walk in there on command?

Goats are pretty smart, so I am sure you can train them to go in there for a scoop of feed.

No idea though if they will like it.

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What are the dimensions?

I would worry about having the buck in there 24/7... I like large areas so individuals can get away from each other.... but then I have never owned a buck.

Goats are pretty smart, so I am sure you can train them to go in there for a scoop of feed.

Its 8x8 right now but I plan to install a covered run around the sides with a alley/ sorting system. They do have 1 an acre to roam during the day. I'm getting the buckling late march he will be just weaned.

Could I set up a feed bucket and give them grain and sweet feed to "trap them"?
They have never had any sort of grain or treats just hay. I bought some of that Manna licorice pellets. They seem very uninterested in it. Is it because they never tried it?
They never really had any sort of human interaction.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
They have never had any sort of grain or treats just hay.
Ah!

Well yes, I treat train all animals... sooooo much easier if they run to you when you call.

Experiment and see what they like.. It doesn't have to be anything expensive or store bought. All critters here love chickweed.... as a kid the horses liked ball moss that I would pick from the trees... You could also try a handful of breakfast cereal....

But really, you need a sound cue to go with the feed.... I like a combo of a call with a can rattle...

So sunflower seeds rattled in a metal coffee can... those work well.

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What are the dimensions?

What treats do you recommend?

Will they get the hit that they can eat it?

Do they just not like the Manna Licorice treats?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What treats do you recommend?

Will they get the hit that they can eat it?

Do they just not like the Manna Licorice treats?
It might just be that it is new... if there is anything that you KNOW they like.. even a weed from the pasture... stick it with the Manna treats...

That way a thing that they know is edible is touching the new thing.

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It might just be that it is new... if there is anything that you KNOW they like.. even a weed from the pasture... stick it with the Manna treats...

That way a thing that they know is edible is touching the new thing.
Yeah they really like purslane. Thanks

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

View attachment 81186View attachment 81187View attachment 81188View attachment 81189
That's probably pretty expensive.

Latest posts