B. C. P. Journal

What should we add to the farm this year?

• Alpaca

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cattle

• Goats

• Donkeys/Mules

• Horses

• Bees

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Shetland..are they on your avatar? Are they low to the ground? Require a lot of shearing, more than once a year or so? I’m getting info on these breeds to see what might be a good fit for us....good luck with the lambing..if she does!!

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, my avatar is Iris, one of this year's lambs. They only need to be sheared once a year. Some of the points about the breed that sold my husband were:
  1. Shetlands are a smaller wool breed. Ewes weigh up to 100 lbs Rams weigh up to 125 lbs
  2. Easy Lambing and great mothers. Bottle babies are rare
  3. Hardy breed Economical to feed
  4. Nice Wool
  5. Good meat source
  6. Some lines can be milked

Last edited:

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Little Miss Katniss standing in the feeder. Her twin Miss Iris is looking to join her.

20200326_095224.jpg

Last edited:

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My husband and I are looking to add other livestock or replace current breeds of livestock. We have very specific wants for our place. We are looking at heritage breeds. We also want them to be registered. We have gone with the cheaper unregistered stock and found that it does not work for us. I am looking to add the following to our place. Just looking for a male and one or two females.

Cattle
  1. Dexter
  2. Highland'

Swine
  1. Glouchester Old Spot
  2. KuneKune
  3. Mulefoot

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know enough to really give you the pros and cons of the breeds, but I would want highland and kunekune personally :love

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have read on the highlander but i have on the dexters i love how tame they are and their size and dual purpose but they do take 2 years to get to butcher weight. The kunekune are a very docile non rooting pig that loves to graze and is very hardy like the Dexter longer to go to a weight.

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don’t know enough to really give you the pros and cons of the breeds, but I would want highland and kunekune personally :love

Personally we are going through the pros and cons of each breed. It just depends on what we can find within the distance my husband is willing to travel.

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have read on the highlander but i have on the dexters i love how tame they are and their size and dual purpose but they do take 2 years to get to butcher weight. The kunekune are a very docile non rooting pig that loves to graze and is very hardy like the Dexter longer to go to a weight.

Not really worried about the amount of time to get to butcher weight. Slow growth is usually best.

Latest posts