Babies!

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This year I’m selling half my ewes and all but maybe two of the lambs. I’ll take the money and buy as many registered ewes that I can. My mixed breed ewes have taught me a lot and it is time for me to make a move to better genetics. It is bittersweet, they are my pets, they have names, I raised them from babies. But for me to move forward, I have to let some of them go. Then I will be flock building all over again.
At least you’ll get more to name and love. :hugs

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This year I’m selling half my ewes and all but maybe two of the lambs. I’ll take the money and buy as many registered ewes that I can. My mixed breed ewes have taught me a lot and it is time for me to make a move to better genetics. It is bittersweet, they are my pets, they have names, I raised them from babies. But for me to move forward, I have to let some of them go. Then I will be flock building all over again.

I have such respect for you, and I’ve learned so much from you from all of your posts. You balance real emotion for your animals with an experienced practicality. Thank you for sharing all that wisdom!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haha, I have 2 diapered 8 day old lambs scampering about the house now. They have chewed DH's house shoes, paper, work gloves, and toes. They are like crawling babies, everything goes in their mouths. Adorable. Too bad one is a ram and the other is a tiny undersized ewe. I love them, i will enjoy them to the fullest, but reality knocks. Not supposed to keep bottle rams and he wouldn't be in the breeding program anyway. Tiny is so small, that I would be afraid to keep her for breeding, unless she has a growth spurt. But for now, it is what it is and I will do my best for them.

Haha, had to stop to take off diapers, wipe a tiny butt and get a hot washrag to clean her up. Took off Rejects diapers, he wears two-one under his belly and put them in the dog crate with a clean towel and clean XXL potty pad on top. Immediately Tiny peed and Reject pooped. :gig Of course they did. I grabbed a kleenax and picked up the poop but not before Reject stepped in it. :barnie Gosh they are fun. A lot of work, but so much fun and what a Blessing from God to be honored with the care of his tiny creatures.

I have such respect for you, and I’ve learned so much from you from all of your posts. You balance real emotion for your animals with an experienced practicality. Thank you for sharing all that wisdom!
This. thank you for the lovely compliment. I do love and adore my animals. It is hard for other people to understand how I can raise animals, take them to slaughter and eat them, or sell them to be eaten. Your statement speaks volumes and shows true understanding. Not saying it is easy, I do get attached. But I have a saying; You can't keep them all. How true that is!

I got my first sheep in 2015. We bought 4 bred ewes. What excitement for my first babies! It never gets old. I share what I learn, both good and bad. I share the success and the failures. Many people on this forum have helped me along the way with their experience and knowledge. I have a long way to go and hopefully along the way I can help others achieve their dreams.
Thank you, thank you for that heartfelt compliment. :love

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boy or girl?
A girl. She was cold this morning, her mouth was warm, so I know she was nursing, but the poor little baby was hunched up and cold. I got the hair dryer, a thick towel and sprawled out in the hay. i put her between my knees and made a tent with the towel, keeping her head out. I turned on the hair dryer and moved it to different positions until she was warmed up. Reason for keeping her head out is so I didn't cook her brand new lungs. When I let her go, she went and had a good suckle. Then I noticed the ewe had 4 teats! The regular two and a little teat next to the regular ones. Oh well, the ewe is on my cull list anyway.

This evening I warmed up the ewe lamb again. First I put up more cardboard to block the wind. I have 3 sides blocked with cardboard, haha. Usually it is the heat we have to deal with, hence the open barn I have. The lamb seemed cold again, so I sat in the hay, opened up my Carhart coat, unzipped my sweat hoodie and stuffed her inside. As she warmed up, she let out a tiny sigh and went to sleep. When she was toasty warm, I took her out, she went to mom for a suckle.

Sometimes I feel like a turtle flipped over on it's back. You know, they flail about with all 4 feet until they finally make contact and right themselves. Old people are like turtles. I sit down on the ground to an extent, then sorta fall the rest of the way. That's not so hard. Then here comes the turtle part. I have to get back up! It ain't purty, but I made it back to the house, so I guess I got to my feet somewhere along the way.

I'd make a great TV commercial............ HELP! I sat/fell in the hay, hugging a baby lamb and I CAN'T GET UP!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Isn’t this what everyone does? Should I NOT be snuggling them and breathing in the new-lamb-y goodness?!?!? How does anyone restrain themselves?
The mama is my friendliest ewe, so she’s coming up for her own share of cuddles. Hasn’t been out off by my “interference” at all!
Once they’re bonded and if mama doesn’t mind snuggle away! Lambs need to be socialized much more than goats. Keep em friendly, you’ll be happy when you need to work with them in the future.

Latest posts