Baby goats don't like any treats!?

Airin

Just born
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm not sure if this should be under this feeding section or the behavior section but....
We just adopted two little pygmy goats (brothers) and they were really sick when we got them so they have had nothing but daily unpleasant handling from us. So needless to say they are not really trusting us right now.

Now that they are getting better we have been going to spend time with them just sitting and reading, or talking to them, trying to offer them treats but they literally turn their nose up at everything we have tried so far, even giving them treats in their bowls. They don't eat their minerals, they don't eat pellets, just their hay.

Today, I finally noticed they were actually fighting over the alfalfa leaf powder on the bottom of their bowls, so I offered them some out of my hand and they ate it!

Now my questions are:
Why do they like the powder so much?
What can I offer them as a treat (to get to trust us) after they no longer need alfalfa (per the vets orders)?
Why don't they eat their minerals or anything other than hay??

Sorry for all the info, we are first time goat owners, first time farm animal owners for that matter and of course my heart went out to these sick little guys who were being neglected.

Thanks in advance for any info!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm not sure if this should be under this feeding section or the behavior section but....
We just adopted two little pygmy goats (brothers) and they were really sick when we got them so they have had nothing but daily unpleasant handling from us. So needless to say they are not really trusting us right now.

Now that they are getting better we have been going to spend time with them just sitting and reading, or talking to them, trying to offer them treats but they literally turn their nose up at everything we have tried so far, even giving them treats in their bowls. They don't eat their minerals, they don't eat pellets, just their hay.

Today, I finally noticed they were actually fighting over the alfalfa leaf powder on the bottom of their bowls, so I offered them some out of my hand and they ate it!

Now my questions are:
Why do they like the powder so much?
What can I offer them as a treat (to get to trust us) after they no longer need alfalfa (per the vets orders)?
Why don't they eat their minerals or anything other than hay??

Sorry for all the info, we are first time goat owners, first time farm animal owners for that matter and of course my heart went out to these sick little guys who were being neglected.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Try thinly sliced carrots, or animal crackers, pumpkin seeds.....if you just go sit in their area quietly, they will come to you...ignore them till they start seeking your attention and give them a treat. You will gain trust and a friend for life :)

Latest posts