Balancing whole grains

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the first things we got into when we moved to the farm was meat rabbits, and we have had terrible luck to start.

We kept experiencing unexplained deaths in rabbits that were full weight and had been healthy only the day before. We thought it was the cold in the insulated shop, added heat lamps with no luck and so on. Our first litter, the mother urinated all over her babies and they died over night, as she soaked them after we went in and did feed checks and whatnot. Our second doe raised up a beautiful litter who's growth was stunted for no particular reason.

Then we put the events together.

When we would open a new bag of pelleted feed, we would notice a steep decline. After the first feeding they'd be huddled in the back of their cages and by the morning, dead. We tried feed from multiple stores, including the 9$ a lb bags from walmart, same thing. After losing 4 rabbits, we cut them off pelleted feed, no down time or gravitation to another food (not ideal, but neither were the constant deaths). We left them with water for 3 days, no food, just water, and they started to perk up. Removed all the feeders, cleaned them up and started them on our goat's hay and oats. They've been on it ever since without issue, and it's been over 6 months. Good weight and form, staying warm without heat lamps and so on.

My question is, however, when we start them producing next year, what whole or rolled grains would be good to pack on the pounds for the meat babies? I wonder if lentils would be a good option? We're going to be putting them on wheat for some variety and nutrient balancing as well, we've just been a little cautious about deviating. Going back to pellets is not an option for us. Either all the mills that supply our area have contaminated feed, or our rabbits are allergic or some such -- I'm not interested in experimenting again, only to lose half my stock.

Any thoughts on what grains/lentils/whole foods to get them growing and meating up quickly?

Thanks!

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am sorry you have had such a bad start up.
It does sound like you have an issue with the food you are able to purchase there.
I have heard of this a few times in the 5 years I have raised rabbits. I would suggest learning as much as you can about fodder. I am actually starting some today for the first time. I currently give my grow outs, hay, pellets and oats. I am hoping to cut down on my pellet use by doing so. I can tell you, when I put my grow-outs on pasture they grow way slower then on pellets. I am curious to see if that remains true when feeding fodder. It is important to make sure your rabbits are getting the right amount of protein.
By any chance did you talk to the mill you get your feed from? This is weird, as you bought pellets from different sources and different brands. 99% of rabbits are raised on pellets, so it doesn't make sense that all pellets in your area are bad. If it was me, I would wonder about mice or rats contaminating the food somehow.
Also, did your rabbits all come from the same place? Did you talk to them about this problem?
I am glad your not loosing anymore rabbits as that is always hard.

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sweetened, can you give us an update on what you are feeding and how it is working out? What did you find worked the best for faster growth and better health? Did you try the lentils, and if so, how did they work? Just curious and wanting to learn....

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. We are getting out of rabbits. While our adults we bring in do well, all does failed to raise their kits beyond weaning, and this isnt a doe problem, we cant figure out what it is. All tests came back inconclusive. With the last two we have remaining, we have been providing alfalfa hat, with a screenings mixture of oats, hard and soft wheat and some sparse wild rice. The screenings were given to us. Some of it isnt the best quality, but we havent had the problems on t that we did on pelleted feed. I worry its a GMO/Pesticide residue thing from the mill, but i can only speculate.

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear it.:( How are your other animals doing? Do you have issues with their feed as well? This must all be getting kind of scary.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everything else here isnt fed ration, including the chickens, which i took off it and put on screening mixes. The sheep and goats are 100% grass, even the milkers. The pigs are on, primarily, oats and other screenings. Its just rabbits we are having difficulty with. We are going to move the caging system outside and build a lean-to thatcan be closed up in the winter and try that. We have one breeding pair remaining. They are doing well on the screening mix.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rabbits aren't grain eaters, they eat weeds, grasses, young shoots, etc.
Might want to try out fodder systems.
Good, fresh hays, not just grass, but legumes and weed mix hays.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
They get hay in the winter (goat hay, alfalfa brome and grass), all the grass weeds and dandelions they can consume in the summer. It did not prevent the deaths. Pellets made them die faster, tim cubes same thing. Our rabbits are doing well on grain and hay.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would suspect cocci. Are they starting to die at about weaning time.
Could be your older rabbits are cocci carriers. They could be shedding the parasite, then the young pick it up from ingesting her poo. Just a thought.
I like to cleanse the cages with a weed wizard periodically. Fire kills the parasite.