Bald Bunny

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What about stress- the rabbit is in a new environment all together.

The picture shows some red areas by its hip and another one by its shoulder are those marks or just the way the picture is showing up

They're red marks. Like perhaps she made herself bleed.

Would the stress of moving cause this issue? It had crossed my mind earlier today...she seems pretty happy to be able to see things outside, though. Last night she was bounding all over in the Green Cage.
And she's getting a lot of interaction with the kids, which is why we brought her home with us. "Her" kids are on vacation and they didn't want her to become "wild" while they were gone.
She doesn't seem stressed...but maybe I'm just not seeing the signs?

Reactions: TAH

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I had a jersey woolly do this when he had allergies to dust (ie. shavings, hay and certain feed as well as the litter). He would pull till he bled in areas he pinched his skin and would be down to a mowhawk. No other symptoms other than pulling hair. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what caused it but stress can, but I would take away anything new you have introduced to her and see if it improves.

Reactions: TAH

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a jersey woolly do this when he had allergies to dust (ie. shavings, hay and certain feed as well as the litter). He would pull till he bled in areas he pinched his skin and would be down to a mowhawk. No other symptoms other than pulling hair. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what caused it but stress can, but I would take away anything new you have introduced to her and see if it improves.

Well, we're part of the newness. I also can't fix her environment. It is what it is right now.

Her owners have shavings for her cage but I assumed they were fine since they were using them before we got her. Perhaps our enclosed carport was too dusty?

Ack! It seems my questions just keep producing more questions!

I really do want to thank y'all for your suggestions and help. I'm really hoping we'll get this sorted out!
Earlier today I moved her cage faaar away from our buck. Out of sight, out of mind, right?
And maybe the new location will be better for her, health-wise, as well...

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is she doing?

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She still looks rather "thin" and patchy in the fur department, but it's slowly growing back.

Pretty soon I'll have to start "testing" what might have triggered the hair-pulling. I'm hoping it was just a simple thing like the stress of moving...

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Update:

Her fur is all grown back. We've let her out in the grass and she doesn't seem to have any allergy issues.
Our buck has even been within site, and she was fine, so it probably wasn't hormonal.
So I'm guessing her fur-pulling was from the stress of moving. Man, what a way to show your displeasure! :rolleyes:

Now the only thing I'm "worried" about is her change in attitude. She's gotten a bit grumpy and growls/lunges at us when we try to take her out of her cage to cuddle.
She hasn't been with our buck...unless they somehow bred between the wire--so maybe she's just getting uppity about having more freedom in the rabbit run...

Thanks again, y'all, for your earlier help!