1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Goat Hooves
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

BAMBOO!

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Cattle (Feed & Forages)' started by Wolf-Kim, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009
    rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Chillin' with the herd

2. Dec 22, 2009
    MTlion86

MTlion86 Just born

Just a word of caution thick unkept bamboo can be dangerous. If it is thick and matted down or tangled like some of the shoots will build up a lot of pressure. When moved it could possible snapback or worse break and snap back with a deadly point at the end. At the very least it will really hurt and at the worst it can kill. If its not woody it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Dec 22, 2009
    mully

mully Loving the herd life

Bamboo is actually a grass. Problem in NC is it grows well and fast. Most of the canes are going to be over one inch in dia and not something goats would eat. The cattle and goats will eat the young shoots and sucker stems and leaves but not the canes. If you cut down the canes to the ground to make an open space then hooves will be subject to damage by walking on the small broken stumps. If the bamboo is not too thick you could grow a pasture grass among the canes and let them forage for themselves. Good Luck !!

4. Aug 14, 2017
    Buzz'n Billy

Buzz'n Billy Ridin' The Range

Boo and goats go together like peanut butter and jelly. I'm Planting a bunch of "invasive", "swarming" and "nasty" bamboo that I hope takes over a section of the farm and will use it for winter grazing my goats. 15%+ crude protein levels in winter...now, whatcha think about bamboo? ...thought so...

5. Aug 14, 2017
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master

Sheep love bamboo. I have three beds planted that I have fence around so the shoots that goes wandering is food. I have the giant bamboo that I planted for both shade and feed. Anything that gets outside of the fence is eaten before it can become a problem at our place.

6. Aug 17, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard True BYH Addict

this is an 8 year old thread...and the person inquiring about bamboo was last seen at BYH July 2010.