Barn lime with pigs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you mean garden lime, I don't see why not. I use dolomite lime and even put it out for the sheep along with their mineral.

Rustic Green Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you mean garden lime, I don't see why not. I use dolomite lime and even put it out for the sheep along with their mineral.
this is what we got from the feed store.

Attachments

• 20200604_185339.jpg
    20200604_185339.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 405
  • 20200604_185400.jpg
    20200604_185400.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 352

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use hydrated lime in the lambing jugs to sanitize them between uses. It is not very dangerous to use, although it is recommended to wear a mask and gloves when using since it is a dust. The giant Caution and Danger labels are for stupid people that might not use it properly. (Like the people that get hot coffee from MacDonalds, take a giant gulp and then sue because they burned themselves.)

Any chemical must be used with caution.

Quicklime is the dangerous lime. It reacts to water by sucking in all moisture immeditely. Occasionally this has cause explosion type reactions when people using it have mixed it with water too quickly. Hydrated lime has had water added back into it after processing to make it safe when adding water (as in making concrete).

Quicklime is what was poured into graves over animals with foot and mouth, and the graves of criminals to destroy the bodies quickly. Quicklime's ability to suck in all moisture quickly would destroy the tissues quicly and completely thus eliminating any possibility of contagion.

If you use lime carefully, it is an effective and cheap sanitation agent for heavily used areas like farrowing barns, lambing and kidding stalls, etc. with dirt floors. I spread it around lightly and rake it into the dirt. Then leave the stall for a few weeks or months before the next use. If you are disinfecting concrete or wood floors, bleach or some other liquid disinfectant would be better.

Rustic Green Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use hydrated lime in the lambing jugs to sanitize them between uses. It is not very dangerous to use, although it is recommended to wear a mask and gloves when using since it is a dust. The giant Caution and Danger labels are for stupid people that might not use it properly. (Like the people that get hot coffee from MacDonalds, take a giant gulp and then sue because they burned themselves.)

Quicklime is the dangerous lime. It reacts to water by sucking in all moisture immeditely. Occasionally this has cause explosion type reactions when people using it have mixed it with water too quickly. Hydrated lime has had water added back into it after processing to make it safe when adding water (as in making concrete).

Quicklime is what was poured into graves over animals with foot and mouth, and the graves of criminals to destroy the bodies quickly. Quicklime's ability to suck in all moisture quickly would destroy the tissues quicly and completely thus eliminating any possibility of contagion.

If you use lime carefully, it is an effective and cheap sanitation agent for heavily used areas like farrowing barns, lambing and kidding stalls, etc. with dirt floors. I spread it around lightly and rake it into the dirt. Then leave the stall for a few weeks or months before the next use. If you are disinfecting concrete or wood floors, bleach or some other liquid disinfectant would be better.

Thank you so much! all of our floors are dirt and the previous owner was NOT very clean.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I let the stalls sit a while (a couple weeks?) before putting livestock back in and rake around a bit so the lime goes into the dirt.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score

ummm...well I dont wanna sound like a nay sayer but.....both the limes listed are the wrong kind.

You're not suppose to use hydrated or quicklime near livestock. If it gets in their eyes. nose or mouth(mucus membranes) it can cause sores or blindness. Using it for livestock when they are not in the area and letting it sit is one thing, however pigs dig and eat everything. So even if you rake it in, they are going to dig it up...with their FACES.

When people talk about liming a barn they are talking about crushed limestone aka barn lime aka garden lime. It is not caustic, is safe for eyes and mouths and ok to breath in. It takes away the smell from ammonia and the smell from feces.

Dolomite lime or calcitic lime are types of garden limes.
Calcitic lime is just calcium carbonate
Dolomite is calcium carbonate combined with magnesium carbonate.

Calcium carbonate is limestone.
Calcium Oxide is quicklime, yes it is made using limestone but the limestone is burned to remove a molecule. This makes it a different chemical.

I live an hour from the largest limestone quarry in the world, which my father also worked at for 40yrs. We learn a lot about limestone. Also our 40lb bags of barnlime or garden lime are $4.

Thats a long winded way of saying, for your pigs go get barn or garden lime. We use it all the time, also good for poultry.